Would like your honest opinion

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Running the dp/flex I would simply burn the flex and substitute her in for the injured player. If I lose two im going to hear about it from everyone who has been previously happy with their daughter's playing time under my method. Lol

You cannot simply burn the flex and use her as a sub. The only spot the flex can bat in the lineup is in the DP position. You would still be able to field a full defensive lineup by using the DP to play in the vacant fielding spot, but if the batter lost was anyone other than the DP you will have a vacant batting spot in the lineup and an automatic out every time that batter is due up.

Mar 13, 2010
How are the two players going to get better NOT playing their weaknesses? Your daughter won't get better just from practicing batting, she'll get better facing pitchers. Same with the poor fielder.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I think you are more than fair as to playing time. The whole point of the Sunday elimination tournament is to win. You have to put your best team out there.

My question: Are you working on your DD's hitting so that she can bat more?

Jun 15, 2011
How are the two players going to get better NOT playing their weaknesses? Your daughter won't get better just from practicing batting, she'll get better facing pitchers. Same with the poor fielder.

I don't think you've read the thread closely. I said that it is a rare occasion for me not to bat my daughter and play the other girl in the field.

Jun 15, 2011
I think you are more than fair as to playing time. The whole point of the Sunday elimination tournament is to win. You have to put your best team out there.

My question: Are you working on your DD's hitting so that she can bat more?

In addition to practice and games she hits 200 balls three times a week. Her deficiencies are more physical than anything. She is not very strong. She has a decent on base percentage and has the highest pitches seen per plate appearance as well as leads the team in walks. We are working on it. She's improved since last season. But sometimes progress can't be measured in weeks. It takes time.

Sounds like most of the season this is not really an issue just the couple tournament with different rules I don't think I would worry too much if it is just a couple tournaments a year when you run into this problem, maybe just remind the parent that "hey remember this tournament has those different substitution rule so your DD might not get as much time in the field."

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I agree with David Carter, just tell all the parents that this tournament has regular rules. I would add that you can also place the girl as the DP in any defensive position and it's not counted as a subistution so maybe have her play a couple of defensive innings to make everyone happy. Honestly, I would often switch around the flex/dp for every game, that way 1 girl isn't just the dp all weekend.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbcoach26