Worst Call I've Ever Seen

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
In 27 years of playing, I don't think I've ever seen a worse call in my life. Australia vs Japan bronze medal match, bottom first. Out mode cleanly at second, girl is out by a mile. Called safe. Umpire is stating that she didn't have her foot on th base. Replay shows this clearly wrong. Appealed but not changed.

This would have been second out. Next batter is out, so should have been side away. Because of this error, the dig continues. Next batter single, run scores. Next batter double, two more score.

I will never say an umpire loses a team a game (the second dig full of errors bringing in four runs has ensured this umpires error hasn't effected the game) but it certainly changed the game. The Aussies were incredibly rattled and have been ever since.

What makes this so much worse to me is that this is a finals game. So this is theoretically one of the top umpires in th world. Who standing two feet away, with no runner in sight, cannot see a players foot firmly in the middle of the bag....

Australia lost 9-2. It's impossible to say what would have happened if the umpire had made the right call, it certainly didn't lose them the game but it also certainly changed the game, as they seemed to not be able to recover from the call, with those litany of errors coming in.

Bronze medal is still an awesome achievement and bring on World Cp
Up and Canadian Cup!

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2010
Agree on the hosts! They were wonderful.

There were some shocking ones in other games. One in the Aus vs Canada game, Aussie runner out by a mile at third. Called safe. Runner appeals and he then changes it.

Japan won the Championship! After 4 were up 4-0 when weather set in. Didn't go so were declared winners. Now have both winners championships with New Zealand having both men's.

Usually on foot placement you can get the ump to ask for help from PU since they have a direct line of sight right down the line, as long as there are no other runners on base he should be looking down the line and easily see if the foot is pulled off the bag.

Actually very impressed at the Firecracker tournament on TV there were several close calls that I was not sure about but after rewinding and slo mo watching them the BU got every call spot on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06