Why we need some kind of pitch/inning count in softball!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Courtesy runners ... batting the line up ... DP/Flex ... EPs ... EHs ...

We get all kinds of "fun things" in order to get more kids into the game. Limiting pitch counts would get more kids in the game.

Oct 4, 2018
Just for reference in our 5 games this weekend average total pitches was 150-180.

Just curious why you practice at 30-50% game pace?
Most 1:15 minute games we had 160+ pitches (total both teams). Add in 40 or so warm up and a few minutes to finish the inning. You get 2.5 - 2.7 pitchers per minute game speed. That is including breaks between innings, at least 2 arguments with umps, mound visits, hits, fouls etc.

Not sure I understand, but if I do. I kind of liken it to running a marathon (but not as extreme). Marathon runners never really run 26 miles other than the event. They train at lower numbers.

Stamina isn't an issue for us. And we play nearly every weekend. This weekend was a 3-day and she pitched 276 pitches. Other two pitchers were right at 200. Weekend before was also a 3-day, and she was at 250. A few weeks prior to that was a 2-day, and she pitched 118. So we have plenty of days/weekends that are reaching the max limit we self-imposed. So practice days are usually under 100.

And of course in a 3-day tourney throwing 276 pitches, that's more like 400 with warm-ups and between innings stuff. But over 3 days. And of course you get rests between innings and between games. When you practice, it's like 80 pitches in an hour. That's really concentrated with little to no rest. Some tourney days she only gets to 80 pitches during an entire day.

As far as us practicing slowly (like 2 pitcher per minute), that's mostly me slowing things down. I talk to her about mechanics, remind her of things from lessons, ask her how she's feeling, ask her about the last pitch, remind her of a pitch from a game last weekend, etc. I am purposefully slowing her down - she's a fast pitcher, which we fans all appreciate. But I want to make sure she doesn't rush. So I slow it down a bit in practice. Is it working? I dunno, seems to be.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
There aren't enough pitchers for all of the teams we have now. I don't believe the reason for the dearth of pitching in Fastpitch is due to lack of opportunity.
There was some subtle sarcasm in my post, and there is in this one, too.

… and yet we still have all those other things that coaches (and some umpires) can’t figure out.

May 13, 2021
There aren't enough pitchers for all of the teams we have now. I don't believe the reason for the dearth of pitching in Fastpitch is due to lack of opportunity.
I think the current situation limits the opportunities for a lot of girls. I could name a bunch of 10u teams in my area that have 1-3 girls that do all the pitching. Most have 2 that get 90% and one that gets the other 10%. I personally know girls on a few of those teams that currently are or were taking lessons that never get to or got to pitch. The reason being that they were not one of the top 1-3 girls. For them to get to pitch they would have to change teams more than likely to an inferior team. Some of them have already quit trying to pitch I am sure more will by the end of next year when they reach there 2nd 10 u year and are still not getting to pitch.

Apr 14, 2022
Not sure I understand, but if I do. I kind of liken it to running a marathon (but not as extreme). Marathon runners never really run 26 miles other than the event. They train at lower numbers.

Stamina isn't an issue for us. And we play nearly every weekend. This weekend was a 3-day and she pitched 276 pitches. Other two pitchers were right at 200. Weekend before was also a 3-day, and she was at 250. A few weeks prior to that was a 2-day, and she pitched 118. So we have plenty of days/weekends that are reaching the max limit we self-imposed. So practice days are usually under 100.

And of course in a 3-day tourney throwing 276 pitches, that's more like 400 with warm-ups and between innings stuff. But over 3 days. And of course you get rests between innings and between games. When you practice, it's like 80 pitches in an hour. That's really concentrated with little to no rest. Some tourney days she only gets to 80 pitches during an entire day.

As far as us practicing slowly (like 2 pitcher per minute), that's mostly me slowing things down. I talk to her about mechanics, remind her of things from lessons, ask her how she's feeling, ask her about the last pitch, remind her of a pitch from a game last weekend, etc. I am purposefully slowing her down - she's a fast pitcher, which we fans all appreciate. But I want to make sure she doesn't rush. So I slow it down a bit in practice. Is it working? I dunno, seems to be.
I think 80 pitches in a session is good number, was just curious as to why practice slower than game pace. Did not know if you was simulating batting half inning breaks.
Most pitchers I have seen easily hit 200 pitches in an hour.

Oct 4, 2018
I think 80 pitches in a session is good number, was just curious as to why practice slower than game pace. Did not know if you was simulating batting half inning breaks.
Most pitchers I have seen easily hit 200 pitches in an hour.

Yeah, good point. If it was pitch, return ball, pitch again... we could get in 200 no problem.

In part due to the fine people here, and in part due to me being a worrywart, I am really, really, really trying to prevent injuries. I've seen many girls in our neck of the woods with pitching injuries and I know it's in part because the girls are being pushed too hard.

Nov 18, 2015
We played in a 14U championship game 2 weeks ago - mid-80's but not middle-of-the-summer unbearable. It was our third game of the day, and I'm not sure either team would have been able to play a 4th at nearly the same level of play. Larger pools mean larger brackets - I think our state-level tournament required 5 wins on Sunday if you weren't a 1-seed.

That being said - one way to limit this would be more silver brackets. Cut the "gold bracket" off at 6 or 8 teams so you don't have to win more than 3 games on Sunday (at B-level or above - you're still getting 6 games over a weekend). While no one should be bragging about winning the silver bracket on Sunday, it may cut down on the pressure of riding your #1 the whole weekend.

Apr 14, 2022
We played in a 14U championship game 2 weeks ago - mid-80's but not middle-of-the-summer unbearable. It was our third game of the day, and I'm not sure either team would have been able to play a 4th at nearly the same level of play. Larger pools mean larger brackets - I think our state-level tournament required 5 wins on Sunday if you weren't a 1-seed.

That being said - one way to limit this would be more silver brackets. Cut the "gold bracket" off at 6 or 8 teams so you don't have to win more than 3 games on Sunday (at B-level or above - you're still getting 6 games over a weekend). While no one should be bragging about winning the silver bracket on Sunday, it may cut down on the pressure of riding your #1 the whole weekend.
I do agree but I think all options have unintended consequences. Making pool play count could lead to riding your #1 more in pool.
Pitch count too low could lead to more subbing on off weeks or playing more midweek games.

Mar 15, 2019
California
My DD gets frustrated sometimes because her velocity isn’t what a lot of her peers are at. I tell her that at 13yo it’s an accomplishment to still be pitching at all. Seems like so many of the younger kids who “tried” pitching have given it up and the pitching talent in the area tends to bottleneck to just the top teams.
If pitching is something your DD enjoys, don't let this discourage her. My oldest DD has had a similar journey. She started 12U at 5', 80 lbs. throwing 40 mph max. A year later, 44 mph; half a year after, 50 mph. She got stuck in the 52-54 mph window to finish 12U and start 14U. Her puberty and growth hit later than her peers and so she'd always hear "you're too small, you need to increase your pitching speed, you need to strike more people out, we need you more as a middle infielder," etc... She was always considered the #3 or 4 even though her change up made her competitive. Her strength was in spinning the ball and hitting her spots, creating weak contact to feed outs to the infield, with an occasional outfield play. So we continued to work on the most efficient mechanics possible so that when she would grow in height and mass, she would be ready. We've moved around teams, searching for coaches that would value that. She just turned 15 yo, has grown to 5'-6", 125 lbs. and is averaging 60 mph. Have her stay patient, her time will come as long as she keeps working...focus on developing a pitcher mindset and not just be a thrower.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06