Where Have All the Pitchers Gone?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
8U,10U,12U, too many coaches (and parents) obsessed with winning. Coaches see who the two best pitchers are and that's who pitches the most. Everyone else gets circle crumbs. It takes years to develop a pitcher and not everyone has the same developmental timeline. But it's win, baby, win, eh?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
8U,10U,12U, too many coaches (and parents) obsessed with winning. Coaches see who the two best pitchers are and that's who pitches the most. Everyone else gets circle crumbs. It takes years to develop a pitcher and not everyone has the same developmental timeline. But it's win, baby, win, eh?
It actually raises an interesting discussion point for mandated pitch counts. Aside from the debate about injury prevention, in my opinion pitch counts in baseball force teams to utilize more pitchers. They cannot rely on one person to carry the team. If softball teams were forced to use 4 or 5 pitchers every weekend, it would clearly create more opportunity. Plus, it eliminates the coach trying to appease parents because "Hey, I had to pull your little princess because she hit the pitch count limit". Sorry for derailing but I think it brings up a different aspect of pitch counts.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
I’ve highlighted this before, but here’s an update. My DD is now 18U. RHP. Still pitching. There were 7 pitchers, including her, on her 10U team. Of those 7, only 2 are still pitching and the others quit pitching mostly by 2nd year 14s. Four of the 7 also quit playing travel by 2nd year 16s. They all still play for their HS teams.

I would say, at the younger ages, all these girls were given opportunities to develop—though certainly not equally. My DD had to scratch and claw for what she got, but was dumb enough to just keep putting in the work and stick with it. I think the biggest issues for most of the girls that walked away was the additional pressure and work that came with being a pitcher. And if you are consistently not having success, it’s very difficult to think it’s worth the time and effort.

I would also say that the local pitching instruction at the 10U/12U age was pretty poor and major mechanical problems were developed/left unaddressed and the parents didn’t know any better. I would watch what some of these families were paying for at “lessons” and just shake my head.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Agree completely. Yes, it is difficult to watch a young pitcher learn to pitch, especially in a game. But some of the greatest pitchers the games have known weren't aces when they started out. But they stuck with it and became who they are now. I remember Amanda Scarborough talking about it, and Cat Osterman. Imagine if their coaches had decided they weren't good enough to get in more than an inning or two in pool play ever. What a loss we would have had.

At 14U and up it's more about performance. Below that it should be about development. Unfortunately it's often more about egos and instant gratification.

May 17, 2012

Not sure what your rec league is like but the ones around me are not filled with evil coaches, "just wanting to win". I see a lot of walk-fests by pitchers that aren't ready to pitch in games. The hitters are bored, fielders are kicking rocks, and parents are on their phones.

10u/12u can be used for pitcher development but it's not the primary purpose.

Parents shouldn't have to drag their kids out of bed at 8:00 AM on a Saturday and be subjected to a 1.5 walk fest so Suzy Pitcher may or may not develop into a pitcher someday.

I am distinguishing between pitchers that can throw strikes and are just having a bad day vs a player that "just wants to try pitching" because they all do at 10u.

Practice on your own time.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
10U/12U is absolutely to be used for pitcher and all player development - mechanics as well mental. Not sure what rec league you're in but 8am games on a Saturday is no bueno. Everyone wanting to be a pitcher at 10U is muy bueno. Every pitcher at 10U should be given at least 1 inning per game and rotate them if you need more than 1 game to do it. However, in deference to your comment on a walk fest, parents of prospective pitchers need to arrange for a pitching coach and confirm that their DDs will be pitching on their own during the week. If they are not willing to sign up to be parent of a pitcher, with all it entails, then no coach is obligated to guarantee circle time.

Jun 18, 2023
we did 3rd/4th both rec and travel, which is essentially 10u C. First year of kid-pitch for most of us. Some towns/teams take it more seriously (too seriously) but most of us were just finding that balance. imo you have to "try" to win to have that competitive real feel to the game, but there's a difference between make sure the best pitcher pitches all 3 innings permitted every game and only your best athletes are playing first base to catch the ball, stacking the lineup so the three best hitters are always 1-3, etc.

In travel over 12 games, 1 playoff games and 5 tournament games we used 8 pitchers. 1 was good, 3 more were up and down but learning and growing, and 4 more really just pitched once each to get a taste.

And getting that taste is important! You can't replicate the feeling of a game with a pitching coach, with reps in practice against your team. It's gotta be in game, with an umpire, with another team trying to win.

Generally how games go at this level is first and second inning are your good pitcher, then you work in someone new for the 3rd (And hopefully, but rarely due to time, the 4th) and then the good pitcher comes back to close it out in the last(unlimited runs) inning to make sure the game actually ends. That's not a lot of innings to get people reps.

But at this level there seems to be be no absence of kids wanting to pitch (or catch). If can work 'em in so they have reps and experience so that they're not SO outmatched at the next level that they give up or never get the chance, they'll presumably stick around. I know "serious" people like to knock town rec programs, but it's a perfect opportunity to get these reps in, and that's like 90% of the need at these lower levels.

May 29, 2015
@CoachCeetar ... I know we don't see eye to eye in another thread, but I LOVE that post.

I didn't think about it until I read your post, but one thing I think parents of want-to-be-pitchers and pitching coaches need to spell out is what the commitment is and where different aspects are learned.

Time with the pitching coach should be learning technique.

Time at home with bucket dad/mom or the net should be learning muscle memory and how to control your body/arm/hand.

Time in the game should be learning the mental component you mention, facing a batter, with an umpire calling it, and with everybody yelling at you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414