Whatever happened to maintaining the box??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I am looking at many at the HR swings on the Model Swings link. They are all BLASTS!!

Seems that almost none of the hitters maintain that box or triangle with the bent front elbow that seemed so emphasized just 2 yeasr ago when I poured through rotational hitting materials and all of the point of contact isolations and with freeze fames on Bonds and a bunch of people (see siggy clips #14 as an example Analysis) drawing little boxes and stuff with their computer pens on the screen and Jack Mankin saying to maintain the front arm angle to point of contact etc.

These hitters seem to be extending often at contact and definately not maintaining the box.

What's going on here!!??

Oct 12, 2009
Are you viewing the clips frame by frame or with the naked eye?

V_H_HD_FPS_Public_MeganBush_1B_HR_ToLF_09-071_60FPS_UpperBody_40-55_R.gif

Here's Megan Bush doing a nice job of maintaining the box.

Aug 2, 2008
I think alot of the HR's and big hits are coming more out of the zone and hitters have to stretch a bit to make good contact, thats just my opinion. I still see lots of good swings with the box still maintained. I did see this though on a hitter from Hawaii, her right hand (righty) was 3 to 4 inches higher up the bat than her left almost like she was going to bunt. I slowed it down to make sure, It was a homerun.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Are you viewing the clips frame by frame or with the naked eye?
Currently naked eye but close to frame by frame as I watch the slow-mo side view on ESPN and then i view it in slo-mo on my DVR.

For me it is something i am really curious about because i have been teaching for about 2 years.

1) maintain the Box

2) a slight upward plane into contact

and just observing the swings i've seen more extended arms and downward swings than I expected and yet BIG results. I am just curious what others have noticed.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The "Box" was never a rigid thing. It is simply a coaching cue. I look at most of the video in the Model Swings Thread and can see the box. I'm positive that those who think in terms of triangle, can do the same. Many posters might remember a couple of posts arguing as to whether a hitter could ever keep it rigid. For example, letting the ball get deep would help maintain that "box" look but EVEN THEN, it can not be rigid. Factor in as well, the concept of buring the chin in to the deltoid during load and you'd see shifts in the box. I agree with what is often stated that one sees what they are looking for. The same could be said for the opposite. JMHO!

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Dragoncoach, I sure wouldn't discount that possibility. With bat technology where it is it's a lot easier to hit the ball deep, even with a less than ideal swing, than it used to be. All the weight training and conditioning today's players do doesn't hurt either. I've mentioned below I know one girl who has one of the ugliest swings you'd ever want to see. You watch her and you wonder who taught her how to swing and why no one has fixed it. It's more of a wild hack than a swing. But she hits doubles, triples and home runs consistently. Her older sister, who has a much better, more textbook swing, doesn't make nearly as much contact. Younger sister just see the ball better, and she's strong as all get-out.

Remember that the ball has no idea how you got the bat there, and doesn't care. Apply enough power at the right time and it's going to go far. That's physics.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
and just observing the swings i've seen more extended arms and downward swings than I expected and yet BIG results. I am just curious what others have noticed.

I had a post early on 'Model swings'. It's a down angle swing that produces the most power and HR hits. It's baseball 101, converted to softball. If anyone saw my DD, the first question would be WTF, then after a few hits, " hmmm, that's working pretty good". It looks very unorthodox, but when your hitting .600 in HS and traveling, it will sure turn some heads. :)

Jan 31, 2010
There were hot bats ten years ago. I believe proper hitting techniques and training have revolutionized woman's softball. Moving the fences out to 250-270 will make a huge difference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01