What makes a good softball coach?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
Just like the thread on what makes a good softball parent. What are parents looking from in a coach?

Mar 13, 2010
I think the first and most important thing for a coach, is that they need to be there for all the girls in the team, not just their daughter's, or not to make themselves look better.

Mar 3, 2011
Ohio
I believe there are many qualities that make up a good coach and they have to agree with the coach's personality (if that makes any sense). What may work for one coach may not work for another. There's a chemistry to the coach.

A good coach conveys to the player that he or she is there for the girls. To work with and teach them to make them better players in an honest and sincere manner. He or she helps the player advance their skill set the next step. A good coach realizes that they lead the team but it's not their team - it's the girl's team.

A good coach respects the girls and their skills and doesn't arbitrarily change those skills out of personal ego but in a way that betters the skills. The good coach can justify changing things with reasonable justification not because "I say so". A good coach uses discipline but doesn't berate players relentlessly.

A good coach understands their own limitations. I personally don't expect anyone to know all aspects of any profession and that includes coaching. It's perfectly understandable. If a kid is getting private instruction, particularly pitching and catching, it may do better to incorporate that training rather than dismiss it. That also puts the kid in a conflicted position.

A good coach is not a "my way or the highway" coach.

How's that for a start?

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
A good coach should know the game at the level above what they are coaching, and have a plan on how to advance the team to that level. They should be a student of the game, always looking for ways to improve their own knowledge and coaching skills. They should command respect and at the same time be fair with the girls. Say what they do, and do what they say. Set goals, rules, and expectations at the beginning of the year, and stick to them. Hand out compliments as easily as critisizm. Know how to push the girls to do their best without verbally abuseing, or berateing them.

In game situations, they should be respectful to umpires as well as the other team, and coaches. Teach good sportsmanship through example.

Nov 24, 2009
Chicagoland
I believe there are many qualities that make up a good coach and they have to agree with the coach's personality (if that makes any sense). What may work for one coach may not work for another. There's a chemistry to the coach.

A good coach conveys to the player that he or she is there for the girls. To work with and teach them to make them better players in an honest and sincere manner. He or she helps the player advance their skill set the next step. A good coach realizes that they lead the team but it's not their team - it's the girl's team.

A good coach respects the girls and their skills and doesn't arbitrarily change those skills out of personal ego but in a way that betters the skills. The good coach can justify changing things with reasonable justification not because "I say so". A good coach uses discipline but doesn't berate players relentlessly.

A good coach understands their own limitations. I personally don't expect anyone to know all aspects of any profession and that includes coaching. It's perfectly understandable. If a kid is getting private instruction, particularly pitching and catching, it may do better to incorporate that training rather than dismiss it. That also puts the kid in a conflicted position.

A good coach is not a "my way or the highway" coach.

How's that for a start?

Hit that one out of the park, good explanation.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
You can be both at the same time, but I think we need to recognize that there's a difference between a coach being nice and a coach being good. Good coaches challenge, motivate, and push their players to achieve and perform to their maximum potential.

Think about the NCAA basketball games you've seen the last few weeks, many different coaching demeanors and styles, but all have had successful seasons or they wouldn't be there. What's the common thread? It's hard to play well as a team when you don't buy into the coach. Considere that Bobby Knight is one of the the most hated and loved coaches by his former players. For some he was the right coach, for others he wasn't. IMO, coaches are like FP bats, there's no one universal best bat and one size doesn't fit all.

Sep 6, 2009
State of Confusion
Know the game intimately
Know the rules exactly
Be aware and observant of all aspects of the game going on and when the other team commits infractions
Know how to teach the proper skills to the girls and drill, drill ,drill them. Then drill them some more for good measure
Play girls fairly as possible with the goal to be winning
Dont use it as a source of income for the coach, be in it for the girls, not money
Be a teacher to the girls, of the game, and certain life aspects too. Be a model adult and sportsman.
Be calm, reserved, non-combative. Do not get emotional, its just another game. When you have coached 1000's of games, you dont get as excited about mistakes, bad calls, etc as when you have only coached a few dozen.

May 5, 2008
I think the first and most important thing for a coach, is that they need to be there for all the girls in the team, not just their daughter's, or not to make themselves look better.

Agree with this 100%!!!!!

A good coach is one that is first and foremost, above all else there for the benefit of the girls.

In addition, I don't expect a coach to know everything. I believe that when I am 60 and have more than 50 years in this game I will still be learning.

However, I do think a good coach will be open to and in search of new knowledge all the time.

I believe a good coach must be able to take responsibility for their mistakes and/or poor decisions. If they don't they will NOT learn from those failures!

I also think good coaches are organized and have a big picture plan that encompasses more than the next 12 hours. :)

They will also be able to stand by the decisions they make based upon what they truly feel is best for the girls/team even if those outside the coaching staff/roster are telling them they should do it differently.

Aug 8, 2011
You have done a great job of defining the skills required to coach. The only thing I would add is that to do those things objectively, it is really hard to have a conflict of interest (Dad Coach). There are teams that have women coaches who have played college ball and just love the sport. They don't have a conflict of interest they are just there because they love the game or are pursueing a career in coaching. Anyhow moving from the traditional (Dad Coach) thing to the professional Coach Mentor situation is a really refreshing concept! Interaction between girls and older girls is a lot different than the interaction between girls and us old men...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole