what do you do when your team turns into the Bad News Bears?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
We have rostered a U12 summer team of 14 kids to play in a "travel" rec league. the competition varies from rec level to JO. We had no tryouts, just selected kids who we knew liked to play, most of which have demonstrated a good head for the game and good skills. We also included two sisters who are good athletes but haven't played before and one girl who's the same age but is (medically) behind the rest physically (difficult to explain). I know she likes to play but gets passed over a lot because she lacks strength and speed.
Our thinking was we have coached these kids all spring, now it's summertime and we'll give them the opportunity play without being constantly directed. also the plan included moving girls around every 2 innings so they can learn to play other positions.

we started in the end of June, right after our spring season ended. We started out strong, the team of girls from different teams blended together nicely and they were all very excited about playing. Opposing coaches commented on how "well-coached" the team was.

now fast-forward 5 weeks and we have a team that's having fun but is playing like it's first year coach-pitch. terrible at bats, not looking for signals, swinging at the 1st pitch and popping it up to the infield, dropping easy flyballs, missing grounders, throwing the ball around instead of getting it back to the pitcher,....you name it. Last night they did all of that and more!

I guess this is more of a venting than a question. If I read this my first thought would be that obviously the coaches are not doing their job and coaching. True, we've been trying to minimize our involvement. That's not to say that I don't spend literally hours planning before each game. Making sure everyone plays equally, and rotates IF and OF, trying to make sure the positions are appropriate for each kid, etc. I put so much work into this and then to have them playing so far below normal...

the problem is the girls are not executing the basic fundamentals correctly. they seem to be more excited about the cheerleading from the bench (one of the girls is a cheerleader). The two girls who haven't played before and the weaker player are doing fine. not great but steadily improving and often playing the field better than the "experienced" players.

we only have a couple weeks and I would like to salvage what's left of the season. So if you have any suggestions short of firing the coach, I'm all ears.

Mar 13, 2010
Well first off, expecting 10 and 11 year old's to run the game themselves is not the smartest move. They need to do this on some games, but every game? Why have a coach if they're not going to, well coach?

While I think it's a good idea to move the girls around and learn all the positions at this age, if you're playing travel it doesn't work as well. The other teams all have girls who have played the same position all year. Of course they're going to struggle. (just of intrest are you doing this with pitchers and catchers?) They need to learn their positions but changing them constantly isn't going to do that.

As for suggestions, sit the girls down and ask them what they want. Ask they how they think it can be fixed. You might be surprised with what they come up with.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
This sounds like a team that needs more coach time. That is more time in practices and less time planning the game out. You picked a team based on what sounds like their attitudes, not so much on their skill. Its time to work on the skill parts of the game.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thanks for your advice, you both raise good points!

Well first off, expecting 10 and 11 year old's to run the game themselves is not the smartest move. They need to do this on some games, but every game?
Perhaps I misspoke, I meant we weren't expecting to have to call out where the play is at every new batter. Think of the way a team plays at their first practice and how they are playing at the end of the season. This summer has been at the end of their season but they are playing like it's their first time out after a wiinter off. We still coach, give signals and strategize, but we didn't expect to be providing softball 101 for every player.
This sounds like a team that needs more coach time. That is more time in practices
true, unfortunately we (and our team) are very busy. Almost every kid has another sport going on at the same time.
You picked a team based on what sounds like their attitudes, not so much on their skill.
Again I probably misspoke. with three exceptions we picked based on attitude and skill. skill is of little use to me without attitude. The girl who is physically the weakest player, has a lot of heart and is very coachable. I can work with her and see improvement from week to week. other more skilled players will resume their bad habits as soon as I look away.
As for suggestions, sit the girls down and ask them what they want. Ask they how they think it can be fixed. You might be surprised with what they come up with.
good idea! I seriously never considered that!

Its time to work on the skill parts of the game.
agreed! before our game last night we had them hitting and fielding pretty well. Then when game time came around it was all out the window. The pitching they were facing was fine, they just couldn't hit or catch a ball.

we have a tournament this weekend with most of the team. the coaching will be more intense than it has been so it will be good to see how that goes. I think lack of team practice is probably the root of the problem.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
I am not an advocate of playing girls in every position. I think that learning 1 infield and 1 outfield spot is enough for a 12 YO. There are different considerations for every spot on the field. It's too much to expect that each girl is going to remember what her job is in every situation while trying to play every position on the field.

Mar 13, 2010
obbay I think it's too much to expect girls at 11 to remember what is happening every play, especially when you're changing them constantly. A simple 'girls think what play you're going to do if the ball is hit' would suffice when a runner's on base.

The main reason I suggested the talk with the girls is that my coach did that with us after a disastrous regionals. We were a team of good players, well coached and fell apart. Thankfully we scrapped into state by the skin of our teeth. The suggestion we came up with, that if you made a dumb mistake (chased runners, didn't make the right play, we left it up to the manager to make the decision) you did 5 starjumps. He then had us do a practise game with the boys every week before state. The moment we had a punishment, we started improving. We came fifth at state :) You make the girls take it into their own hands and they will pull it up.

May 25, 2010
Select or not, it's been a long season and there are bound to be lulls. There may also be some players who are ready for softball to be over for a while. All it takes is 1-2 players expressing that for it to spread and affect team performance.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
thanks for the advice, it's all good.
We had a tournament this weekend and I brought the minimum number of players. I set positions at the beginning of the game and only changed as required for pitchers. the girls played better! This moving-players-around idea started two years ago with U14 team who had a little more maturity and experience. the second year they were better at it and really enjoyed it. with the U12's I'm thinking they need more time at a position to get it.

Also I'm not playing everyone everywhere. I'm giving infielders time in the OF and Outfielders time in the IF. I'm letting girls try catching who haven't had the chance but want to try. I'm trying to expand their experience and understanding of the game rather than lock down positions. these U12 IFs are in for a rude awakening when they try to play up and they find themselves in the OF.

thanks again for the advice. I'll be working it into our game plan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDubyah