What advantage does Crow Hopping Gives to a Pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2022
In anything competitive, it's not the 1st 95 or even 98% that separates the best from the rest. It's the last 1%(or more realistically the last .1 or .01%). The guys in the 95th percentile of golfers are fighting to win their club championships or dogfights in their spare time after work. The guys in the 99.999th percentiles are trying to make money on tour(225/30 million golfers). So yes 10 or 15% is a huge deal.

It wont be long before a girl is a multi-millionare before leaving college.(how much would/could Jennie Finch have made in college with NIL...),

If crowhopping didn't offer an advantage the men wouldn't do it.

@ArmWhip

It's not a full push...

That's 90+% of the superheavyweight WR(he's not a superheavyweight).

He's outside of the circle. And he's pushing from 41 or so feet.

They should change the rules because it's not called. And it offers an advantage. If girls were allowed to train crowhop mechanics you would see a noticeable difference.

As I understand it, the circle has nothing (from a rules standpoint) to do with where the pitcher lands or releases. What I'm scratching my head over is that Folkard is a few inches ahead of the rubber at takeoff. Is that allowed in the men's game?

Aug 21, 2008
The only question I have to anyone who thinks that crow-hopping does NOT give an advantage to a pitcher is this: If it's not an advantage, why is it illegal?

Jun 8, 2016
The only question I have to anyone who thinks that crow-hopping does NOT give an advantage to a pitcher is this: If it's not an advantage, why is it illegal?
Who is saying there is no advantage at all? Go back and read the thread again and unlike the first time through, don’t assume everyone is a moron..

Feb 25, 2020
As I understand it, the circle has nothing (from a rules standpoint) to do with where the pitcher lands or releases. What I'm scratching my head over is that Folkard is a few inches ahead of the rubber at takeoff. Is that allowed in the men's game?

I think the circle was just used as a reference for the distance pitchers get off the rubber. Can't comment on his foot not being on the rubber.

May 17, 2012

Do you see a lot of pitchers in women's fastpitch that know how to maximize their crow hop? The rare times I do see someone doing it there isn't a perceived advantage.

Jun 8, 2016
Do you see a lot of pitchers in women's fastpitch that know how to maximize their crow hop? The rare times I do see someone doing it there isn't a perceived advantage.
They are closer to the batter when they are releasing the ball than they would otherwise be..that is an advantage even if it is small..The only way you can say that isn't an advantage is if you can prove that their velocity is reduced because of the crow hop..

May 13, 2023
Maximize will always be debatable because not all pitchers did that to reflect on who was better or who was worse using which mechanics. Aka other variables in pitching.

As to can you see a difference.
My answer, is yes. (hitters timing)
Specifically remember between the years 1978 and 1983.

When the womans game started applying stricter adherence to rule sets and the adjustments in the verbiage of those rule sets could definitely tell the difference of certain pitchers having to stop crow hop/leapishing.
And that was from a rubber starting at 40 ft.
*Not all pitchers did Crow Hop or leaping but certain pitchers did.
( they trained purposely with it)
These pitchers that had to make an adjustment did go through learning curve to get back to ability with what they were doing mechanical change.
That said changing mechanics can have that adjustment whether it's to stop the Crow Hop, or the newish start with the step back.

From a hitters perspective
> timing is timing.
This is an important thing to consider in this discussion about what pitchers are doing.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
From a hitters perspective
> timing is timing.
This is an important thing to consider in this discussion about what pitchers are doing.
This is certainly true. However when the rubber went from 40 ft away to 43 ft away hitting statistics increased pretty much right away (without a change in anything else eg ball, equipment, etc) so all things being equal less reaction time makes things more difficult..I don't think you (or anybody else) would argue with that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog