Weightlifting exercises to avoid

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
Each kid is different. My DD has been advised to basically do no upper body exercises. She was diagnosed with TOS. I love the functional movement screenings and it can help some athletes.

Former HS football coach- one arm snatch was a staple but after a few years we stopped doing them and our shoulder injuries went down greatly. Not sure why. It was my favorite exercise.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020
I wouldn't do bench press at all. I wouldnt deadlift or squat(or do anything really) beyond the "beginner gains". After a point with weightlifting, you just get better at weightlifting(and also get injured).

I would work on mobility and some of "knees over toes guys" stuff. If you can do 1 legit nordic, especially as a female, your ahead of 99% of other athletes.

Aug 21, 2008
This is kind of a toughy. Pretty much all exercise is going to be good for her, including some of the weight training that others have said to avoid. The question is, which weightlifting exercises will help her pitching. Bicep curls, bench presses, etc. do not enhance pitching but that doesn't mean they're bad for her. It's an important distinction, and no I'm not saying others were saying these were bad for her.

I tell pitchers to ask their track and field coaches what they advice their sprinters to do. The explosion from the rubber is often compared to the explosion from the starter blocks. So whatever they do will be helpful because that's mostly core and legs related. Triceps and shoulders help a lot with the arms.

Aug 21, 2008
I'd also recommend McKenzie method of back treatment as a preventative measure. It's a series of stretches that can help strengthen the lower back, an area that MANY pitchers have discomfort in. Especially those in cold weather places where people pitch on gym floors in winter and other hard surfaces. Low back pain on the opposite side of the throwing arm is very very common, especially in those cold weather places. These stretches help with existing pain and are good for preventing further. You don't want her to end up like me needing shots in my back for pain control!!!!

Oct 12, 2020
I wouldn't do bench press at all. I wouldnt deadlift or squat(or do anything really) beyond the "beginner gains". After a point with weightlifting, you just get better at weightlifting(and also get injured).

I would work on mobility and some of "knees over toes guys" stuff. If you can do 1 legit nordic, especially as a female, your ahead of 99% of other athletes.
My brother just got me Ben Patrick's book. Are people around these parts doing it with their DD?

Feb 25, 2020
My brother just got me Ben Patrick's book. Are people around these parts doing it with their DD?

I'm not sure. I do just the split squats and step downs as a warm up if I do any workout(too infrequent these days).

Every now and then, If the older kids (12u and 10u)want to play computer or whatever I'll have them do a few sets of those(split squat/step downs) before as well. They've worked to being able to do the split squats on flat ground which I think puts them in good shape for teenage years.

I think I'll probly put a bounty(reward) on 3x chin/pull ups and a legit nordic for when dd gets a little older. (In addition to keeping/adding some of the KOTG exercises)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207