USSSA Pride Catcher calling sign to hit batter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
I'm not sure what you're seeing. i see a catcher calling for a riseball up and in. I didn't see the other pitches in that at bat to know if they were setting her up for that pitch but, I certainly didn't see anything out of the ordinary that would call for hitting her. Middle finger can mean a lot of things... wanting a low rise... wanting a higher rise... or anything. But unless something else happened in the game, I don't see why she would throw at her and put another runner on base when you're already losing and extra baserunners would be the last thing a pitcher wants.

personally, it's my opinion if someone is to be hit...you should throw at the batter's waist. This way no matter how they turn, they get hit. If you throw at the head, they can duck. If you throw at the feet, they can jump. But throwing at the ribs means they will get it no matter what. Of course, this is only what I heard when it comes to hitting a batter. I wouldn't know personally. :

Bill

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
Same reason you walk a batter because they are hot and your trying to minimize damages. A walk or 1B, is better then a ball hit out of the park. I'm not positive she hit her on purpose but that batter had a Homerun, a double and 2 rbi's already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Would be interesting to watch the rest of the pitch calls to see if the catcher used her middle finger as a pitch to any other batter.

Feb 7, 2013
I don't care if you are Hillhouse, an NPF pitcher or a 10u rec all star pitcher, there is ZERO excuse for ever purposely throwing at a defenseless batter. This nonsense needs to stop and serious consequences should be administered to the offenders.

So what if a batter hits a home run off of you, it's poor sportsmanship, battery, and bush league with a capital "B" to hit batters intentionally. What a disgrace to the game of fastpitch. If I found out my DD intentionally hit a batter, that would be the last time she threw a pitch.

Here's what is really interesting......they are teammates this year. That footage is from at least a year ago. It was pretty common knowledge that Wiggins was a target.....that is just about the only way you could keep her from jacking one out of the park. Also, IMO, Danielle Lawrey is the most competitive softball player I've seen.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
I don't care if you are Hillhouse, an NPF pitcher or a 10u rec all star pitcher, there is ZERO excuse for ever purposely throwing at a defenseless batter. This nonsense needs to stop and serious consequences should be administered to the offenders.

So what if a batter hits a home run off of you, it's poor sportsmanship, battery, and bush league with a capital "B" to hit batters intentionally. What a disgrace to the game of fastpitch. If I found out my DD intentionally hit a batter, that would be the last time she threw a pitch.

So Rocket, you are saying that if your DD is pitching in college, the coach calls the "fu" pitch, your DD follows the coaches call and smokes a girl on purpose you would demand she quit pitching??? Do you think she would really quit?

Do you really think the occasional intentional hit batter does not occur in softball?? If so, why? .......because they are girls? If you are naive enough to think that the "fu" pitch isn't called from time to time then perhaps you should talk to a few college coaches and pitchers. Wether you agree with it or not, I promise it occurs. Im going out on a limb here but I'll bet whenyour DD is pitching in college and she is called on to do it your stance on the matter won't be so rigid.....

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I think that it is hard to determine intentions simply due to a sign and a hit batter. My HS catchers use that sign as well but it is to call a pick off. The pitch to the hitter is to be in and up to a lefty because most of the time it is a pick off at 1st where the runner is breaking too aggressively. Naturally, one of the results can be a HBP. BTW, we use the middle finger because that signal is blatant and so, the fielder at which ever base we are throwing to knows to get to that bag for the pick.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors