USSSA allowing metal cleats at 14U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Both ASA and USSSA are allowing metal cleats at 14U. As the equipment buyer for our family of athletes, it just makes sense. My DD will be playing one more summer of 14U ball after her freshman year in HS. It is nice that she can stay with her team at 14U without having to buy yet another pair of cleats after her high school season (that is, if her feet don't grow AGAIN!)
In our area, Triple Crown hasn't handed down a ruling just yet on pitching distance and cleats for 14U - they should have an answer in a few weeks.

Jun 22, 2008
As far as I know Triplce Crown just follows ASA rules, at least that is the way they play around here. I would assume if ASA is going 43' and steel cleats in 14U, TCS will follow suit.

As for USSSA, the 2012 rule book says no metal cleats in 14U, I have not heard yet if there will be any changes for 2013.

Oct 18, 2009
Birmingham, Alabama
Over the years, I've heard coaches and parents call for equipment changes to make the game safer -- changing bats for instance, breakaway bases, or requiring face masks for infielders and pitchers, or even the chest pads at the younger ages to prevent heart injuries. But before metal cleats were allowed, did you hear anyone - -anyone -- calling for a change in the rules to allow metal cleats to prevent injuries?

I don't like metal cleats at all -- I've seen far more injuries caused by them than prevented by them. I've heard the argument made that metal cleats prevent major knee injuries due to slipping on wet grass/loose dirt. In my 12 years of being around the game, I haven't seen a single knee injury due to slipping with rubber cleats, but I've seen numerous injuries due to metal cleats sticking on slides, or players getting spiked on slides.

I've also heard people come on in response to this question and preach - -somewhat self-righteously -- that the injuries caused by metal cleats are simply a matter of poor coaching of sliding techniques and/or poor defensive base coverage technique. There may be some truth to that.

But thinking big picture -- if prevention of injuries from using metal cleats is completely dependent upon every single softball coach being able to appropriately teach sliding and base coverage techniques, then to be able to practice that instruction (without injury), and then for every player wearing metal cleats to execute that technique perfectly in every game situation and weather condition -- that is completely unrealistic scenario. It is a scenario destined to fail, and the result of failure of the scenario is that more players are going to get hurt, some in castrophic ways -- than if we didn't have metal cleats.

The other folks who oppose this line of thinking come at it from the angle of - the game is inherently dangerous, you can't coddle the players, you can't protect them from everything, etc. I agree that you can't protect them from everything, and I not a fan of rule changes that change the nature of the game. But allowing metal cleats doesn't make the game better, and banning metal cleats doesn't hurt the game or change the game in any way.

My recommendation for every single player I coach is go with rubber cleats -- make sure that you replace them when the cleats get worn down, but you'll be better off with them.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
The last time they lowered the metal spike age an ambulance was called to the field to cart off a player whose foot got caught up sliding. My first reaction was I knew it was a bad idea to allow metal spikes, as she was being cart off I noticed she was wearing plastic cleats. Found out that she was carted off by an ambulance the year before for the same reason.

IDK, wearing metal spikes falls into the face mask category, do what you want; my DD will do what she wants.

When the time comes DD might need to armor up her legs is the only way it directly affects her.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
Where did you hear USSSA is changing? They were the only ones I was waiting to hear from.

The Colorado coach's meeting was held on Saturday - they had representatives from USSSA, ASA and Triple Crown give talks on rule changes, procedure, etc. The USSSA rep announced that they would be going to 43 feet and metal cleats in 14U for the 2013 season. (I'm not a coach, I was just there as a proxy taking notes for DD's team). USSSA also made some changes to how they handle guest players - coaches must add a guest player to their online roster. This is to make certain that every girl is covered by insurance and to make sure that all coaches involved are aware of the guest player. Also, the new bat rule that was supposed to take effect for the 2013 season will take effect in January of 2014. Everyone was all over the Triple Crown rep regarding pitching distance and cleats - she wouldn't say for certain until the organization meets after Thanksgiving.
ASA also has a mobile app that will include their rulebook: m.asasoftball.com. The rulebook is still the 2012 version for now. ASA also said that the 43 foot pitching distance will be optional for 14B - a local tournament director can decide to go with 40 feet.
The metal cleats are of course optional - the only thing to be aware of here is that you may be playing against girls who are wearing them.
Hope this helps - this was all very interesting information! A little hyjack of my own thread here - we also had a college recruiting roundtable where we could ask questions of local college coaches. The biggest thing I came away with was that the coaches want a personal e-mail and a short, simple video that they can easily access via youtube or the like. They also said that if there is a school you really like, you should e-mail them every week. The coaches get 50 or more e-mails per day, but if they see the same name popping up every week they will be more likely to read it. Also tell them your grades - it was mutually agreed that grades are very important.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
USSSA already listed the pitching distance at 43' in the 2012 rule book for 14U

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
.... ASA also said that the 43 foot pitching distance will be optional for 14B - a local tournament director can decide to go with 40 feet.....

Local tournaments can do whatever they want with pitching distances, run rules, etc. in their tournaments and leagues.

Just be aware that the 43 foot pitching distance will not be optional for championship play, including B level play. If your area holds an ASA B tournament or B territorial national, the pitching distance for 14B will be 43 feet.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbcoach26