Using Heaver bat for practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
If your objective is to build strength and bat speed I am sure it has merits. However, if your objective is to develop and maintain superior mechanics I would think that changing bats is ill advised. You change the bat, you change the swing. I find it interesting how many players at the lower levels have 2 - 4 different bats in their bag depending on the speed of the pitcher or how they feel that day. If you cannot hit well with 1 bat what makes you think you can hit well with 3?

I often thought the same thing. Nearly every girl on our team has multiple bats in their bag including my DD. Currently DD carries 3. 1 is the composite bat that she uses in games. 1 is an Anderson that she used a couple of years ago that we keep just to use in the cages (dimple balls). It is 1 ounce lighter than her composite, but in reviewing Eric's bat weight database probably isn't lighter at all. Then she also carries her very first bat which I now use to hit grounders to the team before games.

Another girl on our team carries 1 1/2 bats ;) Her favorite composite broke during a fall ball game last year and she continues to carry the barrel portion of it as a souvenir.

Feb 14, 2010
My DD swings 33-25 Demarini but we practice with a 33-30 wood bat all the time. If your swing changes based on the feel of a bat your mechancis aren't as sound as you think.

Feb 14, 2010
SL,

We do it all the time plus I pitch her baseballs as fast as I can. Great for hand eye. Personally I love to watch her swing with the wood. Nothing purer than the crack of wood. Like I tell her, wood doesn't lie, lol.

Jan 3, 2014
DD has a Mizuno Whiteout 32 -8. We got it new in wrapper, cheap. She normally swings 32 -10 sized bats. Her Whiteout is dead like a wood bat, has a very small sweet spot, vibrates on any miss-hit ball. She practices with the Mizuno a lot lately and I think it's making her a better hitter. BTW - We've put a lot of swings on that bat hoping it would open up, and it never has. My Son and his buddies put a couple hundred swings on it in baseball BP even. It's a dead club.