Turn the Barrel: How to teach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
What is the best way to teach a hitter and help them understand the concept of turning the barrel? Any drills , etc. that might be helpful?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
IMO, learning to "turn the barrel" is something best learned while seeing a ball coming towards you. That is, "turning the barrel", IMO anyway, needs to include the "reading of the pitch" phase of the swing. It is the improper actions during the "reading of the pitch" phase of the swing that often screws up a batter's ability to "turn the barrel".

Also IMO, the concept can be easier to grasp if the hitter is coerced into using a more vertical barrel ... like in Tewks' "half-way home" drill ... and if they are instructed to "level AS they swing/turn-the-barrel" ... one continuous action, and not two separate actions.

Jan 24, 2011
IMO, learning to "turn the barrel" is something best learned while seeing a ball coming towards you. That is, "turning the barrel", IMO anyway, needs to include the "reading of the pitch" phase of the swing. It is the improper actions during the "reading of the pitch" phase of the swing that often screws up a batter's ability to "turn the barrel".

Also IMO, the concept can be easier to grasp if the hitter is coerced into using a more vertical barrel ... like in Tewks' "half-way home" drill ... and if they are instructed to "level AS they swing/turn-the-barrel" ... one continuous action, and not two separate actions.

Is there video of the "half way home" drill ?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
AttackOppoDrillL.gif

This is what I had my DD doing this Sat. Along the lines of Epstein torque drill-With the object after getting into a 'SNF' position creating a corner. I started with a ball on a tee. At heel drop, think IR rear leg, turn the barrel rearward with the forearms/hands. We then moved too both feet on the ground and DD rotated into a SNF position as DD lifted her front heel. Then we did the same drill/action as 'the drop of the heel'. I also watched the video posted in this thread :http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/13734-what-does-corner-mean-you.html (Teachermans corner) alot.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

Is this close to the half way home drill? The made up drill that I suggested? Sorry Tewks I don't have e-book. From what I have read and guess this maybe close or not. Mine is off of a tee first for the feel of turning the barrel. I had to physically show DD what turning the barrel was. I just assumed she understood. I was wrong, again.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Is this close to the half way home drill? The made up drill that I suggested? Sorry Tewks I don't have e-book. From what I have read and guess this maybe close or not. Mine is off of a tee first for the feel of turning the barrel. I had to physically show DD what turning the barrel was. I just assumed she understood. I was wrong, again.

The half way home drill is a sequence drill where the batter cannot start the "load/swing" until the ball reaches "half way home." So, using a tee really would defeat the purpose of this drill. This is using the idea that the "swing is the load." In other words, the loading and swinging of the barrel are one- one continuous motion without any pauses. I have to run to the doctors, so maybe someone else can explain it better:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC