Travel Team coach Lack Knowledge.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 16, 2011
Polson, MT
Need your help here fellow coaches. I have been coaching/instructing for over 10 years and my DD is playing this year on a 12U team that has a less than knowledgeable coach. Unfortunately I don't have the time to coach as my job is very demanding and doesn't allow for me to take the time off so I have entrusted her skills to others that the league felt compenent enough to coach.

My DD is very quick and has caught on to slapping very quickly the last year and has been successful from that side of the plate. The problem is that they have her on the right hand side of the plate and unfortunately at 80 pounds soaking wet she doesn't have the strength to hit with power from the right side, thus she regularly bunts from the right side rather than being on the left.

I am trying to figure out whether I be "that parent" that attempts to talk to the coach and not become overbearing in how she could help the team be more successful from the other side of the plate and focus on her skills getting better on the left hand side of the plate rather than squaring up on the right hand side and laying down a bunt.

The coach has no idea of my experience and my softball knowledge as we are new to the area and in this very small tight community its difficult to get in with the "good old boys" without making someone upset. Don't want to jeopardize her ability to be successful here but also know that my DD would be 10x more successful on the Left hand side of the plate with her speed and quickness as a 1 or 2 or even a 9 rather than floating in the 7 or 8 spot with her lack of power.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My DD is very coachable and is frustrated that they have her on the right hand side of the plate when she wants to be on the Left hand side. Do I keep my mouth shut and let the next 4 weeks play out and move on to the offseason or get her on the Left hand side of the plate by requesting that happen with her coach?

Thanks!

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
The next time, she goes to bat, have her stand on the left side. If the coach questions it, have her say "I am a lefty."

Feb 3, 2011
I agree with Amy. :) Your DD is old enough to tell her coach she thinks she'd have more success on the other side. Tell her to handle it.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Do I keep my mouth shut and let the next 4 weeks play out and move on to the offseason or get her on the Left hand side of the plate by requesting that happen with her coach?

Life experience teaching moment...take your DD along with you and help her talk to the coach about it. I doubt there will be a problem. He probably doesn't even know she is a slapper.

Jun 11, 2011
I applaud your attempt to be diplomatic however your doing a disservice to your daughter and her abilities and possible future if you allow her to be undercoached. Attempt to talk to the coach but I truly believe it will fall on deaf ears. I don't know where you live however look for a team that better fits your daughters abilities. FYI ... I'm going through a similiar situation.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
same here...dd's pitching great, but we lost two championships, one because it was full rules and coach won't let the girls practice full rules? and coach won't play the bunt? 18 k's and we lost, because a girl got a bunt down with no coverage? and stole 2nd,3rd and home? we lost 1-0? coach says the parents aren't really hard core softball fans? and basically don't care if we win or lose? but he doesn't know four of those parents are looking for other teams? trying to stay diplomatic? but,it's a new coach and i'm sure he's trying? but he's getting out coached because of his inexperience? frustrating......

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
As a head coach, I'd have no problem w/ a parent offering his/her opinion on the best use of his/her daughter, as long as it was tactful.

"You might not know this, but ... '' ... ''and it's your decision. Do what you think is best.''

Encouraging the player to talk w/ the coach is good advise too. I wouldn't encourage her to go to the plate left-handed because that's a passive approach. Be assertive and talk w/ the coach.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
same here...dd's pitching great, but we lost two championships, one because it was full rules and coach won't let the girls practice full rules? and coach won't play the bunt? 18 k's and we lost, because a girl got a bunt down with no coverage? and stole 2nd,3rd and home? we lost 1-0? coach says the parents aren't really hard core softball fans? and basically don't care if we win or lose? but he doesn't know four of those parents are looking for other teams? trying to stay diplomatic? but,it's a new coach and i'm sure he's trying? but he's getting out coached because of his inexperience? frustrating......
While it is easy to focus on the blown bunt coverage. But if you lose a game 1-0, the lack of offense is more to blame then one single defensive play.

Of course I am not trying to say you shouldn't teach full rules or bunt coverage. I'm just saying there is a lot more there then just the one play

Oct 22, 2009
PA

Here is some perspective: "Full rules"? Can I assume this is a very young age you are talking about (8U or 10U?)? If so, you need to congratulate a coach that has a young team that only gives up one run. On the other hand, if this is an older team (12U or older), and your league plays something other than "full rules", you need to find another league.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck