Travel Ball Tryout

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2010
I was just wondering what type of drills to prepare my daughter for for her first travel ball tryout for a A level team. This would be 12u and she is a pitcher.She currently plays on a B level team and wants to take the next step. What are some normal things that these organizations will do and what will make my daughter stand out.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
My experience with 12U tryouts has been that it is not a true test for the girls. If your DD is a pitcher, make sure that you warm her up before hand. Depending on the team, tryouts could be anywhere from a few ground balls, pop ups and a couple swings of a bat to a full on practice. The best tryout she has been to was a 14U team. I sent her just to see what it would be like with the older girls. They timed the girls running bases, hit probably 30 different ground balls to each girl and had a college pitcher throw live batting practice. The pitchers then left the try out and were able to throw to several catchers. They had a radar gun and took notes on the different pitches. This was a great experience for my DD. Good luck.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
A friend and I both had DD's trying out last August for 12 and 14U teams. I had seen tryouts before and made note of the drills each would see. We would meet at a field and the girls would do the tryout drills. Same amount of time, number or trys and drills. Everything from grounders, pops hitting and running. By the time the actual tryouts came it was like a regular practice to them with little fear of the unknown.

A few things I learned watching other tryouts. On grounders and pops that are obviously out of the reach, a best effort till the ball is in hand sends a good signal to those observing that your kid doesn't give up on a ball. Pop fly to the side, make sure they are running till the coach calls them off or they get it off the ground.

A lot of coaches have now gone to the open practice type of tryout where your kid mixes with the kids currently on the team. From my perspective I find this easier on the kids trying out. Make sure you DD makes some conversation with the girls on the team. Coaches often ask the current players what they thought and I promise a friendly girl gets the nod over the one that doesn't smile, make eye contact or at least say "Hey" even when the girls know the less friendly was better.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207