To charge or not to charge? That is the question.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

Charging every ball hit to you in practice is just developing bad technique....I can't tell how many times I see a 3B not get to a ball because their first step is in even though the ball needs a lateral move....charging may work in 12U....

Aug 29, 2012
Anytime a player can close the distance to the ball the better chance she has at making an out. In baseball, with 90' bases, infielders can sit back, recieve the ball and fire across the infield. Fastpitch is a whole different animal. Anyone that has witnessed 2.6 sec to 2.7 sec home to first I think will understand.

R

RayR

Of course! But, it has to be done with the proper footwork....simply drilling players at a young age to charge everything ain't getting it done....anyone who watches a lot of softball sees it all the time on choppers and tweeners that get through the IF because of poor footwork....

Anytime a player can close the distance to the ball the better chance she has at making an out. In baseball, with 90' bases, infielders can sit back, recieve the ball and fire across the infield. Fastpitch is a whole different animal. Anyone that has witnessed 2.6 sec to 2.7 sec home to first I think will understand.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Charging it always better than waiting, so we coach a two step 'creep' on the pitch and encourage girls to charge any ball they can. As we have gotten older the base runners have gotten faster, so players almost have to 'creep' if they want to throw a girl out. Especially a SS if she is playing deep or a 3B who plays behind the bag.

Jul 9, 2009
IL
I think a more appropriate term to use is – play through the ball. The speed and direction of the ball will dictate what that means.

A major problem with fielding is that players get stationary, when they get stationary; they have a tendency to lift up. When that happens the ball goes under the glove or it gets fielded too deep between the ankles. It also creates a start/stop/start sequence that can take an eternity when measured in softball time.

If your momentum is moving in the direction of the ball, playing through the ball, it’s much easier to stay low and keep your glove out in front.

Bill Edwards, Hofstra says – right foot, left foot, land the airplane (get your glove down), field the ball, get on your skateboard (e.g. turn your hips) with right foot, left foot, throw the ball. As the girls progress (over the years), this sequence becomes one very quick, fluid motion.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2010
Best reply yet. Charge is a tough word. Keep momentum through the ball and continue it to your target.

I think a more appropriate term to use is – play through the ball. The speed and direction of the ball will dictate what that means.

A major problem with fielding is that players get stationary, when they get stationary; they have a tendency to lift up. When that happens the ball goes under the glove or it gets fielded too deep between the ankles. It also creates a start/stop/start sequence that can take an eternity when measured in softball time.

If your momentum is moving in the direction of the ball, playing through the ball, it’s much easier to stay low and keep your glove out in front.

Bill Edwards, Hofstra says – left foot, right foot, land the airplane (get your glove down), field the ball, get on your skateboard (e.g. turn your hips) with right foot, left foot, throw the ball. As the girls progress (over the years), this sequence becomes one very quick, fluid motion.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
I like what BrianMonk says above about playing through the ball. I am one of those coaches of young 10U players who we tell to charge the ball every time. However to the outsider looking in they miss that we explain every so often (as a reminder) what Charge means. We tell them taking angles on the ball and moving forward always so they play the ball and not the other way around. We tell them they should always be on the balls of their feet and they look at us funny. However we bark charge and they move to the ball wherever it is coming and they play through it and field so much better. I am probably guilty of using the wrong language. However since we started doing this last year the players are MUCH improved on fielding everything. BTW @ BrianMonk...We use the term landing a plane all the time! I loved reading your comments on that. We explain how they should stay as low as possible and approach the ball. Never stop and wait. Charge, then adjust their speed to the ball as needed to keep moving and play through it.

Aug 14, 2011
I like the "through the ball" post. My daughter's travel coach (and she is very very experienced and good coach) says this exact phrase all the time.

Sep 21, 2010
corinth,tx
as an infielder you always want to be moving on a ground ball if you can move your body to give yourself a better throwing angle you do it is not always charging straight ahead. at 3rd you would like your girl to round the ball to give her a better angle on a throw to 2nd or first depending on where the play is to be made. like it was said before 2.6 need to get to the ball fast and get it to the base.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA