To charge or not to charge? That is the question.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 25, 2011
I"m just throwing this out there. I have heard many coaches talking about charging the ball. I mean all the time, not just the slow roller but the ones that are hit well and can be picked up and thrown in time to get the runner. I'm not talking about the ones that come at the fielder with a tail of fire either. I know that it can be the judgement of the fielder on weather to charge or not. I guess I ask, because I was listening to a coach at a practice, keep telling the girls to charge the ball, they were a youger team and they were charging every ball hit to them and they were struggling on the ones that if they would of just waited they would of snagged them with easy. So what do others think, charge them all or charge the ones you have too?

May 17, 2012
I teach all my fielders to step into every pitch. It's more of a two step than a charge. I want my fielders to be in motion when a ball is hit to them. This allows them to play the ball instead of the ball playing them. On hard hit balls they obviously are not charging, they are holding their ground and reacting.

My girls are 12U. There is video on youtube of Longoria (from the Rays) that does something similar.

I always prefer bodies in motion.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I think it needs to be on a case by case basis. I don't think there can be a hard and fast rule that could cover each ball hit to you. Some would require you back up at an angle just to get to the ball. I expect most would have to be pretty much in front and not coming to fast to charge.

Jan 25, 2011
I teach all my fielders to step into every pitch. It's more of a two step than a charge. I want my fielders to be in motion when a ball is hit to them. This allows them to play the ball instead of the ball playing them. On hard hit balls they obviously are not charging, they are holding their ground and reacting.

My girls are 12U. There is video on youtube of Longoria (from the Rays) that does something similar.

I always prefer bodies in motion.
yes, I agree with not being static, my dd and I are Redsox fans," I Know, Not fairing to well", but with that being said my dd's favorite player is Dustin Pedroia and he jumps.

Jan 25, 2011
I think it needs to be on a case by case basis. I don't think there can be a hard and fast rule that could cover each ball hit to you. Some would require you back up at an angle just to get to the ball. I expect most would have to be pretty much in front and not coming to fast to charge.
those are really good points and I appreciate the answers so far.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I watched a team practice before ours last week. 3rd was a really good player and coach was hitting pretty sharply at her. She made every play and threw nearly perfect. No way would a batter beat it to first. The coach was yelling at her on every hit "you need to be charging the ball!" I so wanted to say "coach, I will hit and you show her how it's done."

Inside is right, it depends, simple don't have time to charge a HARD hit ball from less than 60 feet away.

Feb 15, 2011
FL
I think that some coaches yell that to get the girls momentum moving forward. Keeping them off their heels and on their toes anyway they can think of. IMHO as long as they are on the balls of their feet, they will field the ball cleaner and faster which is the desired result. I could come closer to understanding the mentality of my 14YO DD then some of these coaches.....

Aug 7, 2012
This is the way I see it. If they charge the ball and get, say, two steps into the ball, they have taken away two steps from the (batter-)runner trying to reach the bag. This might come into play on a bobble or a poor mitt-to-hand transfer or other runners advancing. Not to mention that I've seen many times a player 'eaten' up by the ball by waiting on it.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
This is the way I see it. If they charge the ball and get, say, two steps into the ball, they have taken away two steps from the (batter-)runner trying to reach the bag. This might come into play on a bobble or a poor mitt-to-hand transfer or other runners advancing. Not to mention that I've seen many times a player 'eaten' up by the ball by waiting on it.

I like this post.

My father always said "baseball is a game of inches", I'll add "softball".

One thing I have seen over the years on some teams is the lack of coaching how to play and decide the two charging plays. "Gloved" and "bare-handed". Too many coaches spend time hitting grounders that require little movement, re-enforcing to get in front of the ball or use two hands. Which is fine for young ages and routine grounders.

As the players get older/faster infielders must learn how/when to use a bare-handed play/throw. The time to transfer the ball from the glove to the throwing hand can decide a base runner or an out.

Another thing I see is the lack of "back up". Medium roller to 3b, RF needs to see the charge and move to back up the throw to 1b. RF needs to anticipate the angle of throw and be in direct line, or be reading the fence for a overthrow.

My dad always told us, "no man on earth can out run a thown ball". "It's the seconds before the throw that make the difference".

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I'm not sure I would use the term "charge". DD's team is 18 Gold and they are taught to be moving forward on the pitch. I'm sure it is mostly to keep them forward and on their toes, as well as taking a step or so away from the BR.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA