Throat Guards

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
A chest protector should never should be flopping or sliding around i.e., more like a compression shirt than an XL tee shirt. Too small is better than too big, IMO.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Hogwash. Show us an example of a correctly installed throat protector doing this.

The new masks don't protect as well as you might think. Saw a girl take one to the throat last year. She had on a hockey style mask and no dangling protector. The ball was fouled off the plate and bounced up so quick she did not have time to react. Hit her directly in the throat and dropped her like a ton of bricks.

With that said, it's up to each individual on how much protective gear they wish to wear. It's out there if they want it.

It has to do with the throat protector getting hung up on the ribbing of the chest protector. My daughter's chest protector fits her very well, but the guard would still occasionally stick in the ribbing when she looks down.

I don't doubt that they are still vulnerable on those freak down/up moments, but I would contend that the guard could potentially fail in that direction as well.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
I came from L.L. Now that we're ASA I don't see any of the girls wear them. Only cause ASA doesn't require them. Personally I don't think it has any restrictions. I would encourage you to keep it on your daughter. Safety first. The reason for them is because a catcher goth hit with a bat and died. Accidents happen. For an extra $3 you can prevent a throat catastrophe

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
She's never NOT had one....all her experience has been with the guard....so we'll stick with it. But I will look into tightening up the chest protection or buy a new style or size. Thanks to all for your thoughts and concerns.

T

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Ironically, the injury that inspired the throat protector happened in the on-deck circle. Steve Yeager was waiting to bat and got his throat pierced by a piece of a shattered bat. Nine splinters of wood were surgically removed from Yeager's throat. The throat protector was designed to protect that original injury.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
Make sure the gear fits properly, make sure she can pass the flinch drill test, then make the decision you're comfortable with regarding additional protection.

Btw, you need the chest protector to fit snug and move with her, but you also want her to be able to create a little slack when she rolls her shoulders forward to block.

May 18, 2013
Richmond, VA
Lose the throat guard and tighten up that chest protector around her neck. And yes, teach her to protect that right hand. Runner on, ball fist and tuck thumb, hand behind mitt. No runner, hand behind right leg.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish