Thoughts about DD pitching in BB

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
My 7yo DD also plays on a BB team and at first I told the coach that she wasn't going to pitch. When I taught her how to pitch a BB last summer it seemed to effect her throwing motion after she would field the ball. A little to much leg lift. They keep putting her at SS as her fielding and throwing are much improved. She would like to so should I just let her pitch?

Apr 16, 2013
Little late to the post, but not only yeah... heck yeah! My 9yo daughter plays both rec and travel baseball. I won't brag in detail, but I'll simply leave it at, "She's good". Because of this, when it comes to softball, she has tremendous arm speed, and she doesn't "throw like a girl". She's a part time member of a 12u softball team, and the coaches warm her up, because the girls are afraid to throw with her. I know this will serve her well if she moves to softball in the future.

My only thought is to be careful at this age and don't let her pitch too much. Overhand throwing is a lot more injurous than underhand pitching. Mechanics are critical, especially if she develops a strong arm. The harder she throws, the more damage she can do. If you ever want any advice (even if it's the "girls playing with the boys" talk, feel free to PM me.

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
Thanks for the input jag. Funny thing is tonight was the first time we went out and had her pitch off a real mound. It seemed a little far away and it ended up being 45 feet. In her league at this age they start them half way through the season and they pitch at 40 feet. She did good a 45 feet but the ball didn't have the usual zip to it. By chance when we got there a couple 12 year old girls were practicing BB. The first one pitching was hitting 60 MPH which I thought was pretty impressive. Both were good looking ball players. My DD plays softball and it is her main emphasis. She has fun playing with the boys and it seems like a good fit because they are so much more aggressive in how they play. She starts pitching in a week or two.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
My 7yo DD also plays on a BB team and at first I told the coach that she wasn't going to pitch. When I taught her how to pitch a BB last summer it seemed to effect her throwing motion after she would field the ball. A little to much leg lift. They keep putting her at SS as her fielding and throwing are much improved. She would like to so should I just let her pitch?

I would let her. JMHO I wouldn't worry about leg lift, it's better than chick-winging it. She will put it together when she has to throw out the faster runners. Keep bus posted.

Apr 16, 2013
Keep us all updated. Obviously girls playing baseball is a subject that's close to my heart. My daughter didn't start pitching till she was 8, but we started practicing when she was 7 and learning how to do it. I record everything and I often go back and watch the clips with fondness, and also to see just how far she's come. She loved pitching so much I moved her up from the Rookie league to LL Minors so she could pitch. I'll fully admit, it gave me a lot of pride when people were floored when they found out she was 8. Almost all the pitchers are 10yo. She also made All-Stars that first season. The boys started off being a little apprehensive of her, but now she's treated just like one of the guys. All the kids in the league pretty much know her now.

I fully agree about the aggressive difference. My daughter had never played softball, and it was seriously eye opening to see just how much more "relaxed" (for lack of a better word) softball was to baseball. She's practiced with a 10u A level softball team previously, so I know girls can be aggressive. However, at the rec level, there's just no comparison. I think it would serve all athletic girls well to start off playing with the boys. My daughter's desire to keep up with, and beat the boys has made her ultra competitive.

Feel free to record any of your practicing and send it my way. I'd love to see her pitch and help any way I can. :)

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
Her BB league started pitching today and she lead off the game. It was interesting checking out the other teams fans before the game. They looked very intrigued by a little girl starting the game. 1st pitch strike, 2nd same, foul ball and then a swinging K. Struck out another, weak pop up hit and then went 4-2 and then a coach took over and I believe the batter was thrown out. Everything was close to the plate except one pitch. She looked really good, she has already pitched in 25 softball innings so she knows the routine. We then went to her softball game and she struck out a couple more in the inning she pitched. Neat day.

Apr 16, 2013
Whoohooo, good job! Can't believe baseball starts so late for you guys though, our last regular season game is tomorrow.

Get some video up! I love seeing girls pitching BB. :)

Dec 3, 2012
West Coast
I didn't mention it but we then went to the Cal vs Husky game later in the day and she was lucky to get three of the four pitchers sign the back of her jersey. DD has a favorite who helped her at the clinics she attended over the winter and by chance tomorrow is her sharing day at school. The jersey is already in her backpack ready for school.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC