The "Natural"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 6, 2012
That's good to hear. I have had the pleasure of coaching kids like that from time to time. Thankfully, their parents were good people who kept it all in perspective. Of course, I am sure many coaches have seen it the other way also.

Then, of course, you get the parent who is parking a new sports car in the parking lot and telling you that he bought it for his 12 year old because she is going to get a full ride to college for softball. That's the OTHER end of the spectrum.

Understand that my post was not making a point about this kid in specific, but about kids in general. Not knowing her, I don't know her situation, family, etc. Enjoy watching her play!!!!

Last edited:

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
One of my very first pitching students was one of those kids. You could say she walked better than other kids. Lots of fast-twitch muscles, quick, sure-handed, strong, everything you could want. I worked with her and her sister for a couple of years when she was a 12U player, and possible for a year of 14U (it was a long time ago).

Her parents eventually had a falling out with the owner of the facility I worked in so she stopped coming. A couple of years later in HS I saw that she'd had some success pitching and hitting so I sent her a message congratulating her. She had always been a sweet and humble girl and continued to be. I found out that she hadn't continued with pitching lessons -- she was doing that based on what I'd taught her previously. But her main position was shortstop. She eventually went on to earn a scholarship at Loyola University in Chicago.

Probably the only downside for me was that she set some unrealistic expectations for me as far as students go. When you have a kid like that it's easy to feel like an awesome coach. I soon learned other kids required somewhat more work. :)

Oct 10, 2011
We had a girl like that on our team last year. In fact at a 14u A tournament, a coach came over an said he'd been coaching for almost 30 years, and she might be one of the best shortstops he ever saw. She seemed to be able to stop everything and throw from any position. She was extremely fast also. This girl made my DD want to practice so hard to get to her level of play...it was a constant motivation for her especially because they go to the same school. Well, at the end of the season she gave up on travel ball because of being so frustrated with everything going on. Recently we heard she might come back, but in the meantime, my DD wants to take this opportunity to make up some ground on her while she is out! A little friendly competition:) My DD has to work twice as hard as this girl at sports, but at least DD gets better grades!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Probably the only downside for me was that she set some unrealistic expectations for me as far as students go.

No truer words were ever spoken. I delight when an athlete walks into lessons. it makes my job easier. But, as my husband tells me the less talented girls are the ones that need me.

May 21, 2012
Aww - we have one kid like that too... I just love to watch her play... She is only 12 and just a natural. She caught for my daughter and was a smart enough player to be able to call all the pitches.

During practices for rec, she gets done with her team and immediately runs over to my husbands team to get a work-out in. And hell - if there is time, she will go join the 7/8 graders and join in on their scrimmages. We played her team during rec and there was nothing more fun then watching her and my daughter having a fun little rival. My DD's goal was to strike her out and this other girl wanted to hit a home run off her... (she hit off my daughter but they were playable outs.. I also think my DD got her on a change-up). They play TB together but rec is different... The best was watching her on SS and catching balls at 2nd...

I did tell her I didn't like her pitching though... She is so amazing any where you put her but because she is not trained as a pitcher, it's almost awkward not seeing her be a star on the field.. Now if she was trained, she would just be amazing - I'm sure of it...

Honestly, I can't wait to see where she goes with all her talent... And the kicker - one of the best personalities I have ever seen in a kid...

Apr 11, 2012
I didn't coach her, but I heard about Samantha Findlay (she hit the game winning HR in the CWS for Michigan in 2005) when she was 11 YOA. She was playing high level 18U at 12YOA.

We beat her Dad's Homer Hawks second year 16A team this past summer in Denver, CO....he mentioned who he was and his daughter because the was impressed by our 14A team playing up and that we had several "gamers"....nice guy to talk too, and has a great knowledge of the game...

Nov 29, 2009
We beat her Dad's Homer Hawks second year 16A team this past summer in Denver, CO....he mentioned who he was and his daughter because the was impressed by our 14A team playing up and that we had several "gamers"....nice guy to talk too, and has a great knowledge of the game...

I've known Joe for years. If your daughter can play for him, she can play for ANY coach out there. He is intense and his players pick up on it. He coached at another Chicago area program for years at the lower levels grooming many fundamentally sound athletes until there was a falling out. The whole family is a great softball family.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish