The Differnce between "Stealing" a Base and "Advancing" a Base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Pet peeve warning :mad:. I was compelled to start this thread after reaching my limit reading about steals of home, which I have never seen except in a mishandled 1st and 3rd situation.

There is a distinct difference between stealing a base and advancing a base. A steal is planned in advance, usually in response to a sign given by a coach, and is not an action taken in response to how successfully the catcher receives or blocks the pitcher's pitch. It is NOT a steal when a baserunner advances a base when the pitchers pitch results in a wild pitch or, god forbid, a passed ball.

A baserunner typically "steals" a base as the result of the catcher's inability to throw them out. Baserunners "advance" a base when a) the Pitcher errs and throws an uncatchable or "wild pitch" or, b) the Catcher errs and mishandles a catchable pitch (i.e., allows a "passed ball").

PS = the difference between a WP and a PB is a potential subject for another thread. Regardless of perspective and semantics, noone will argue that a strong catcher minimizes both! Who wants to start it ;)

Feb 3, 2011
In 10u, our scorekeepers usually record them all as steals, but I score them separately on my sheet, because my goal is to chart our games as accurately as possible. My game records look quite a bit like a calculus worksheet.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
The only steal of home I have witnessed was a delayed steal on a lefty pitcher who would come out of the circle to get the throw and turn towards 1st to walk back.

We started keeping that kind of book this year thanks to a scoring app on the Ipad.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
DD has been instructed to cause havoc on the bases whenever possible by her HS coach. On third, she will leave late and look for the ball to hit the ground so she does not have to stop, then go, on a past ball. Twice this year, the ball only went about 3-4 feet away from the catcher but she was able to slide in head first and avoid the tag. People on other teams even complement her on how good she is at "stealing home". I guess I consider it a stolen base if most runners would not have even attempted it. Is this wrong?

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Most people have no clue how to score. A "Steal" is only marked in my book if there was NO ERROR on the play.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Most people have no clue how to score. A "Steal" is only marked in my book if there was NO ERROR on the play.

This is not true at all.

If the player is attemping a steal on the pitch and is succesful they are credited with a stolen base. Even if the result of the pitch would have been a WP or PB had the runner not been going. Likewise if the catcher throws the ball into CF, you can not assume the out would have been recorded on a stolen base attempt, rather the presumption is the runner would have been safe.

Now if the player goes only after they realize there is PB or WB then you do not get credit with a SB.

If the throw is into CF and the player then advances to 3rd, they are credited with a SB of 2nd but advance to 3rd on the E2.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Pet peeve warning :mad:. I was compelled to start this thread after reaching my limit reading about steals of home, which I have never seen except in a mishandled 1st and 3rd situation.

There is a distinct difference between stealing a base and advancing a base. A steal is planned in advance, usually in response to a sign given by a coach, and is not an action taken in response to how successfully the catcher receives or blocks the pitcher's pitch. It is NOT a steal when a baserunner advances a base when the pitchers pitch results in a wild pitch or, god forbid, a passed ball.

A baserunner typically "steals" a base as the result of the catcher's inability to throw them out. Baserunners "advance" a base when a) the Pitcher errs and throws an uncatchable or "wild pitch" or, b) the Catcher errs and mishandles a catchable pitch (i.e., allows a "passed ball").

PS = the difference between a WP and a PB is a potential subject for another thread. Regardless of perspective and semantics, noone will argue that a strong catcher minimizes both! Who wants to start it ;)
Whether its a passed ball and a wild pitch depends on if the pitchers mom is scoring or the catcher's mom.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
This is not true at all.

If the player is attemping a steal on the pitch and is succesful they are credited with a stolen base. Even if the result of the pitch would have been a WP or PB had the runner not been going. Likewise if the catcher throws the ball into CF, you can not assume the out would have been recorded on a stolen base attempt, rather the presumption is the runner would have been safe.

Now if the player goes only after they realize there is PB or WB then you do not get credit with a SB.

If the throw is into CF and the player then advances to 3rd, they are credited with a SB of 2nd but advance to 3rd on the E2.

Per NCAA scoring rules:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Manuals/Baseball/baseball_softball_scorebook.pdf page 8:

z. Stolen Base: Credit given to a runner who advances a base unaided by a safe hit, putout, error, force, fielder’s choice, illegal pitch, wild pitch, base on balls, hit batter, passed ball, interference or obstruction.