teammates are smoking weed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I have a player who was recently caught smoking pot... Since I know about it and more importantly ALL the other girls know about it... what should I do? If I do nothing, does that translate to the girls that I condone it?

Ouch...sounds like team talk time. Obviously not to call anyone out, but a little reminder about dedication to ones sport. Probably a one on one with the girl in question is also in order. Dang, glad I did'nt catch that one. Good luck.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
If HS team then you have to follow your school's code of conduct. I don't recommend doing otherwise. If not HS team, then you truly are in a tough spot. You have a responsibility to the team. If they are minors, you have to make sure that you don't violate any of their rights. I'd be careful what you say to the team. This might be something that you workout between you and the parents if you want them on your team. If not, release them. You can do that without having to explain your reasoning. Of course the parents might want their money back but I wouldn't give it all back.

May 25, 2010
I have a player who was recently caught smoking pot... Since I know about it and more importantly ALL the other girls know about it... what should I do? If I do nothing, does that translate to the girls that I condone it?

This is not nearly enough information to draw any conclusions, let alone to offer any suggested courses of action.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
If you are the HS coach, what do the rules of conduct say is the punishment? She was caught by whom and how do you know? What if it was alcohol, how would it be handled?

Hopefully, her folks will handle the problem and that will solve your problem, too.

Really do need more info, what does "caught" mean...does that mean someone saw Suzie smoking? Who was that person and then how did you come to find out?

If you are in a school system as a coach you do not have any choice, failure to follow whatever protocol the school has puts YOU in jeopardy, the only answer is follow exactly what school policy dictates.

If this is a TB team then you have option depending on exactly what the circumstances where and what you policies are. In our rec league the players sign a code of conduct that does not give us much choice the girl would be out of the league. If you don't have a policy I guess it is up to the organization and coach but how many parents are going to want their kids around that kind of influence. Big thing is as with any of these situations GET ALL THE FACTS FIRST, then sit down with whatever leadership structure there is a make a well thought out rational decision.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Man I hate to hear that James.

I have a strict rule that if I catch any of our girls smoking weed, I confiscate all of it!! J/K

This is a tough one, your group is 14u right? Regardless of a minors age it's a slippery slope to go down when you're not the parent. Many years ago I was a wide eyed southern boy and did some really stupid things, so I can "tell" real quick who has been hitting the Ganga no matter how much eyedrops they use.

Unfortunately weed is probably the easiest "drug" that teens can get. No ID, no carding........just cash and carry.

We live in a small town and DD is pretty open with me on who does what confidentially, if I haven't already figured it out.
Let's just say that I know a couple of cannabis connoisseurs who play softball. Great kids, well mannered, good parents, straight A students, good ball players, going to college, don't drink, no discipline problems at school or society.

^^^^How do you handle that? Do you make a mountain out of a molehill and jeopardize their eligibility? It would be much easier if the "stoner" was making bad grades, skipping school, rude, had discipline problems, criminal record. At least then you can point to the problems it's making.

I'm anxious to see where this thread goes and the advice that is given.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I'll explain further... this is my 14u tb team. We are a small town and 4 of the tb girls will be on the hs team that I am an AC as well. The smoker is in my town and will also be playing hs ball for me. I didnt go into the full details of my problem. Since its a small town mentality (everyone knows everything about everyone)... my dd found out about the smoker at school. She tells me everything. I knew about this, and since the smoker was caught by her mom, I didnt take it any further as far a telling anyone. I did however explain to the mom that I was opposed to that behavior etc... and mom agrees, and is acting as if shes gonna give this kid the riot act. So at school yesterday my dd is confronted by 5-6 girls who are all in the (pot head group) at school and one of those girls is the one on my tb team. They dont hit her violently, but they are clearly provoking her by non stop shoulder taps while walking down the hall. They are freaking out that my dd will snitch on them to me. BTW, several of these girls are on the hs team and they know that if I were to find out, their eligibility would be compromised.
So, as a coach on the tb team, what should I do with this kid? This is a huge distraction. Im expecting the team to practice together while the elephant in the room is in the way. My dd now completely hates her teammate. I know I should cut her... but heres where I get selfish. The smoker has recently became good friends with a phenomenal player, a true utility player. Pitcher, middle infield, 500ish BA...she can do it all, and extremely well. I need another pitcher and a second baseman bad. This kid will fit the bill perfectly. So if I cut the smoker, I'll be loosing potentially the best player on the team before she even officially joins the team.

Jun 18, 2010
They dont hit her violently, but they are clearly provoking her by non stop shoulder taps while walking down the hall.

I actually have a bigger problem with this ^^^^^^ than the original offense. I know that peer pressure is great at this age and without knowing the girl, she may have been pressured into joining the pot smoking. When the group confronted you DD and touched her physically and tried to intimidate her, to me that is bullying, and needs to be addressed. Bullying should not be tolerated.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30