Swing speed training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
So I know this has been mentioned in other threads but was wondering about the use of a heavy bat. DD's team had to withdraw from their showcase tournament, (which stinks) so we did some swing work.
After warming up, we did 3 sets of 10 starting with a Skilz Speed Bat, then her Freak 23.6 oz :) bat, next 28oz ultimate weapon and then a 6 pound medicine ball. I started with tee, then toss, and last set I just had her do dry swings in front of a mirror concentrating on good form in case she might be getting tired.
Does this sound good? Also, after doing this, would we use the heavy bat exclusively for all of her batting work offseason? Is three times a week good enough as she will be working with a personal trainer two days also?
Thanks

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
iMlearning Does this sound good?

To me yes... I have mentioned this too, and since you already use one of their products, I'll bring it up again. The ZIP-N-Hit Pro. We have a blast with it, and you can take it and get some work in everywhere. Friends and family like to get involved with it anywhere we go.

skilz.jpg

Jan 25, 2011
IMO, the zip n hit pro, has a possiablity of creating a hit down on the ball swing, get the total control balls, if space is limited. To many salesmen selling anything out there.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
So I know this has been mentioned in other threads but was wondering about the use of a heavy bat. DD's team had to withdraw from their showcase tournament, (which stinks) so we did some swing work.
After warming up, we did 3 sets of 10 starting with a Skilz Speed Bat, then her Freak 23.6 oz :) bat, next 28oz ultimate weapon and then a 6 pound medicine ball. I started with tee, then toss, and last set I just had her do dry swings in front of a mirror concentrating on good form in case she might be getting tired.
Does this sound good? Also, after doing this, would we use the heavy bat exclusively for all of her batting work offseason? Is three times a week good enough as she will be working with a personal trainer two days also?
Thanks

That sounds great! I don't do exclusively heavy bat. I do about the same formula that you did.

The heavy bat will help your mechanics, that is the #1 reason why we recommend it. It will strengthen your muscles that it #2.

BUT think of track sprinter, if they just did drills with the parachute attached, would that help them get faster? No they will get stronger, but they (well they make my kids anyway) to things that they call "over speed"...they run down steep hills to make them increase the threshold of speed that their legs. That is what things like the speed bat can do, push past the current threshold of bat speed.

IMO, if she is going to a trainer 2x per week, I think 2 sessions of hard, quality, heavy focus hitting are enough. With all that going on, I would really talk to someone, or learn about getting enough good quality calories for muscle recovery and strength.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
(well they make my kids anyway) to things that they call "over speed"...they run down steep hills to make them increase the threshold of speed that their legs. That is what things like the speed bat can do, push past the current threshold of bat speed.

RHC...Didn't understand your conclusion... Should, I want to push past the current threshold of bat Speed ? Also, DD's S & C Coach, had her run 20-40 yrds sprints up a slight hill... I'm sure doing both can help, at least get her blood flowing... wondering what you think about that too ?...

We do a little heavy bat work, intermixed as well... and also throw it back and forth for fun, and to teach her to put spin on it, and keep it standing straight up as it travels... Thats was just one of my ideas for teaching her to throw and finish,across the chest.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Yes, push past current speeds.

My kids s and a coach has them run up hills much more than down hills. When they run downhill he explains to them their feet have to move faster then normally possible.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Yes, push past current speeds.

My kids s and a coach has them run up hills much more than down hills. When they run downhill he explains to them their feet have to move faster then normally possible.

Thats what I was thinking.... She just had her run up, then just walk back slowly, get breath... 8 times. I can see how going down will help alot too. It will also help me be her favorite S&C Helper now... Like the heavy bat, will do alittle of both now. THANKZ

Reminds me of the first time I took her fishing. She was around 18mo. Me an neighbor had hands full of equipment, I couldn't hold her hand. When she hit the down grade towards the pond, It was almost like she just took off running, we thought she was going to run right into the water.... neighbor dropped everything and and took off after her, because she didn't fall... we knew right then she was something... that was first time on a hill... wish I had that video... still got the neighbor though... Us 3 still fish together... :{))

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Oh I can't watch when they downhill run. Several of the kids have biffed and rolled, no one hurt, but I just can't get the image of someone is going to jam their knee or leg bending backwards out of my head.

Jan 25, 2011
thanks redhotcoach, those are some really good drills on gaining speed. It is funny my dd and I were at the beach, when she was little and she ran across the water, I knew then she was something:cool:

Jan 25, 2011
imlearning, it sounds like a good program, maybe throw some light bat work in after the heavy bat work. Something a few ounces lighter then her game bat. You know Marc has some really good dvds, he sells thru his website, softball proformance. You could allways send Marc a pm and ask about what he thinks and what dvd he would suggest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG