Super Regionals-Catcher fielding dirt pitch and firing runner out

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
I love this, too, RAD, but boy is it hard to convince anybody else who trains catchers that this is a good idea.
Understand what you're saying!

This may be the best time for the use of the phrase...
seeing is believing! 👍

Definitely have had it happen where a student catcher goes to a travel ball team where another catcher might be a blocking everything style catcher. While the catcher that comes to the team is now using their glove. There are times when coaches have tried to tell the fielding catcher they should block. The catcher (knowing and understanding why they are training and utilizing these mechanics, using their glove.) Will enter a discussion with the coach about the purpose and explain some detail. Most of the time coach will say okay go ahead and do what you're trained. And then the wonderful thing happens where the coach realizes how effective it is!
* actually it has happened on occasions where I have been called in to then work with the other catchers on the team.

Have also gotten new students from people seeing the Fielding catchers in games and seeing it's effectiveness.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
The other great thing about controlling the ball, fielding, is that Runners will start to notice the catcher who does control the ball and at times will take a shorter lead off at the bases because now it's back pick time! Ball already in hand...ZAP!!

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
And I actually think it's easier! Blocking and controlling the ball is hard. Picking short hops is not.

In your opinion, when would you say a catcher absolutely should block the ball? Runner on third? Certain types/locations of pitches? I'm thinking blocking that inb-etween hop might be easier than trying to pick it.

May 13, 2023
And I actually think it's easier! Blocking and controlling the ball is hard. Picking short hops is not.

In your opinion, when would you say a catcher absolutely should block the ball? Runner on third? Certain types/locations of pitches?
This is a very simplified description
~ as a catcher for me , it is not something that is dependent on where runners are or the outs. Blocking is because it's a dirt pitch where the ball bounces way out in front and comes up high into the chest.
A *truly wild bounce.

Using glove mechanics on knees, Mechanics still set the catcher up behind the ball if it should take a high bounce into the chest but the glove is always there to field.
Far more majority glove can be used.
Glove can be used even without dropping to both knees and can actually field a dirt pitch while already going into a one knee throw. Using momentum to the ball transferring and pivoting into throw.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
With very little kids teach the Turning of the glove work/fielding from the Crouch. Fielding the ball and coming out to throw from their feet. With little kids the pitching is generally very slow and they are very small to begin with so being close to the ground and jumping to their feet is something they can do and is easier Fielding because of slower pitch.
( and they don't have to purposely get hit by the ball which helps reduce bruising, and reduce fearfulness)

There were times, even in college and women's division travel ball, that I would burst from my Crouch, field dirt pitches and and throw from my feet.
Field and Fire
Know other catchers do this as well. it is just like Fielding but starting from the catching Crouch.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
I was never taught to block pitches. Why would I want to?

(Then again, I was an arrogant little twerp who kept tally marks on his helmet for each runner thrown out.)
Ahhh didn't know you were a catcher?! But I do know you like being behind the plate! Good for you the man in blue!

Nov 15, 2019
My daughter's catching coach taught her how to field pitches in the dirt. Finding a coach that allows it is a different story....

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414