Struggling

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
I know this is a common issue, but just kind of venting. My DD does great during practice, but has been struggling during game. Its coach for those who don't know. Her mechanics are good during game, just not hitting well. I'm sure its definitely nerves. Plus I notice during game she is starting late instead of on time with pitcher. So that contributes to a lot.

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
I was just gonna ask, is she starting late. With coach pitch, the hitters need to develop the mentality that every pitch is going to be one to crush, UNTIL IT ISN'T. So she should be starting early. If she can get this down, it'll only help her once she reaches kid pitch.

Need to help her (somehow, I don't know how) understand that you start early and slow - relaxed. I'm sure you know. I just don't know how to teach it.

Aug 20, 2017
Kids at this (all ages for that matter) come out of posture way to early. Try getting her to stay chest over the plate more through the swing. Film her and see if her head and chest are coming straight up during the swing and not staying over. Make sure she maintains tension in legs throughout the swing

Oct 2, 2017
I was just gonna ask, is she starting late. With coach pitch, the hitters need to develop the mentality that every pitch is going to be one to crush, UNTIL IT ISN'T. So she should be starting early. If she can get this down, it'll only help her once she reaches kid pitch.

Need to help her (somehow, I don't know how) understand that you start early and slow - relaxed. I'm sure you know. I just don't know how to teach it.
She definitley understands, early and slow. Its just sometimes during games she doesn't do it. during practice, no issue.

Jun 8, 2016
Go look at my thread..I have like 4 or 5 videos of my 9 YO DD over the past month or so and her game swing is different in every video!! Weird things happen to (some) young kids when there is a bit of pressure. I just try to tell myself to just keep working with my DD and the consistency will come eventually..not sure I always listen to myself but at least I try.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2017
Go look at my thread..I have like 4 or 5 videos of my 9 YO DD over the past month or so and her game swing is different in every video!! Weird things happen to (some) young kids when there is a bit of pressure. I just try to tell myself to just keep working with my DD and the consistency will come eventually..not sure I always listen to myself but at least I try.

Thank I'll look at the. It's not her mechanics. That's pretty consistent overall. It's just timing.

Jun 8, 2016
Thank I'll look at the. It's not her mechanics. That's pretty consistent overall. It's just timing.
Point is, things change in a game when there is a little pressure. If her mechanics stay constant that is great..she'll get the timing thing down.

Oct 2, 2017
I 100% agree with you both. And especially at this age the nervousness gets the best of them. My DD especially because she bats lead of the 1st inning. Usually it sets her tone for the whole game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13