Squash the bug - story

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 16, 2015
I do not think "squash the bug" is the worst thing in the world and my point is not to bash on those that teach it. I am just sharing a little story with my 2 DD's and that DD1 is "getting it" with what is being taught to her

DD2 is at a softball camp after school this week. When she got home, I asked her if she learned anything new. She said they are trying to change my back foot to do this. I asked did they say "squash the bug?" She says yes. DD1 is standing next to me and i said DD1 what do you think of squash the bug and she says dont do it. Then went on to list the reasons why you dont do it.

At that point she took DD2 outside for a good 30 minute hitting session on the T showing her the correct way. DD1 is 13 and DD2 is 11. It was fun for me to watch from afar as big sis was helping lil sis with her swing and was on point with what she is being taught by her coaches

Sep 29, 2014
dumb question but what is so bad about squish the bug, they teach for younger girls to rotate the foot correct

I am going to hope you are asking sincerely please go to several of the old hitting thread read thoroughly and hope this thread has not blow up by the time you get back.

Apr 13, 2015
dumb question but what is so bad about squish the bug, they teach for younger girls to rotate the foot correct

This could have been 2009 me that posted this. Lol...That mindset was way too popular in trying to help young kids get their bottom half involved in their swing. Because that's the action people 'thought' was going on.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.

Hope to help a new dad avoid mistakes that will be/have been made.
Start her:
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-hitting-technical/5027-megan-1-tee-2.html
Squish the bug:
fe3nd0.gif

Simple demo of rear leg/foot example:
wuqe5d.gif

crystalbustos1.gif

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Another part of the "squish the bug" problem is that it often puts the center of the action in the foot, rather than where it should be in the thigh and hip. In a properly-working rear leg, the foot's movement is a response to things happening higher up. The foot doesn't rotate, it gets rotated. Likewise, the foot doesn't push the heel up, the heel gets pulled up.

What I see frequently with young hitters who get taught to "squish the bug" is that they spin the back leg with no contribution to weight shift or hip turn. Leg spin does nothing to help power the bat.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414