Sports injuries--are parents protecting their children?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
This is something that has been on my mind lately. This year , the local football organization has decided to do away with flag football for 5 and 6 year olds and go to regular tackle football. My son just turned 5 in June is very small (39 lbs). He has been getting absolutely demolished in practices thus far. After their last practice on Tuesday , he ended up with a good size bruise running along his lower jaw line. I dont want to overreact , but I also want to make sure I am protecting him. I would like to hear some opinions on this matter. Should I sit him out this first year and go at it again next year when he is a bit older or should I just TRY and teach him (he just isnt experienced enough right now to know what's going on out there completely) how to protect himself out there? PLMK

Sep 17, 2009
I have two girls so don't have the football problem but I'll say I'm not sure I'd have my kids play football. What I've read is that every line collision basically impacts the brain. Scary stuff. Good luck Cyclone, I don't think it's possible to over-react to safety issues at that level (face mask vs. no face mask for infielders is another story : > )

Jan 24, 2011
I have two girls so don't have the football problem but I'll say I'm not sure I'd have my kids play football. What I've read is that every line collision basically impacts the brain. Scary stuff. Good luck Cyclone, I don't think it's possible to over-react to safety issues at that level (face mask vs. no face mask for infielders is another story : > )

I played football for many years when I was growing up (although I didnt start till like age 9 , not 5) and I understand the violent nature of football. I was prepared for that and I really wasnt real concerned until the jaw line bruising.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
My oldest DD is a cheerleader . They went to camp for 3 days this summer and came back with 3 kids with concussions , 1 fractured wrist and a broken foot . They actually do a baseline at the beginning of the season now to check them and check them again at the end of the season just to see if they have any damage . My DD is a base and most of her injuries end up being the result of a flyers elbow or knee when they drop out of whatever stunt they are doing . It is a concern for me but I believe the school is doing everything they can to protect the kids and frankly I would rather have her bell rung from being an athlete than have it rotted from sitting in front of a TV or Computer all day . You can only wrap them so tightly in bubble wrap before they suffocate .

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
Oh look , I opened my mouth just in time for my DD to injure herself . They suspect she may have a slight tear to her ACL so we are off to the Sports Medicine Dr. tomorrow .

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA