Someone explain this to me Hitting Hype

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
Agreed the modern athlete doesn’t play for the fan, they play for themselves and the money/fame. Good point.

Why shouldn’t they play for themselves first and foremost? It matters that THEY enjoy the experience, not you or I.

I didn’t say don’t post a softball question on a softball site. I said don’t look for casual fans on a niche site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
I'm not sure this is a "have to act like ladies" thing. It's more of a personal preference regarding culture in sports. I'm more of a Barry Sanders touchdown celebration fan, not Terrell Owens. Showing emotion on the base paths is great, but I'm not impressed by any athlete, male or female, stomping on home plate and jawing about it in front of the catcher or standing on 2nd base and screaming at the top of their lungs back to the dugout. Both Oklahoma specialties.

As others have said, it's not my game so it's not my decision and I can choose not to watch. I'm impressed by the athleticism of the players but this is simply a part of the game I don't enjoy.

It’s always interesting to me when people mention the Barry Sanders style of celebrating.

First of all- that was a personality thing, not something he did to be noble or classy. By all accounts he’s been that way in all facets of his life. Any time I’ve personally seen him, he’s kind but reserved.

Second- nobody finds it remotely strange when fans cheer and get loud and jump around celebrating the same touchdown that they don’t want the player showing emotion about.

Jun 5, 2021
It’s always interesting to me when people mention the Barry Sanders style of celebrating.

First of all- that was a personality thing, not something he did to be noble or classy. By all accounts he’s been that way in all facets of his life. Any time I’ve personally seen him, he’s kind but reserved.

Second- nobody finds it remotely strange when fans cheer and get loud and jump around celebrating the same touchdown that they don’t want the player showing emotion about.

no amount of reason will work on this softball dad. Hard to get an objective opinion out of someone who’s drinking the koolaid. ;)

Sep 13, 2020
no amount of reason will work on this softball dad. Hard to get an objective opinion out of someone who’s drinking the koolaid. ;)
See, that's uncalled for. There's no competition here and I'm happy to admit that my views are in the minority. I'm not trying to convince anyone, just trying to add another perspective. I won't be contributing to this thread any more if you just want to stir the pot.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Since you are not a dad, just what is your interest? Personally, I didn't drink any kool-aid. My dd loved playing and was excited to get to play. She approached this sport with passion. Neither her nor any other player should have to explain to any fan why they play the game with enthusiasm. Your standards are not theirs. Your expectations are not their expectations. As a father, I sat back and enjoyed it knowing that for my dd, she put her heart and soul into it traveling all over this country to play and those days were coming to an end.

I coached baseball in high school as well as softball. My baseball players were pretty enthusiastic as well. Again, what is your interest in this sport? Thanks in advance.

Jul 31, 2015
Why are the women so over the top hyped up over a simple base hit, EVERY single base hit they show the batter on base SCREAMING let’s go!!!, stomping their feet, slamming down their arms etc etc. what ever happened to acting like you’ve done that and been there before. I understand if it’s a game winning hit but down 7-0 and getting a single and here comes the over the top hype.

Why are the men so over the top hyped up over a simple touchdown, EVERY single touchdown they show the player in the end zone SCREAMING let’s go!!!, stomping their feet, slamming down their arms etc etc. what ever happened to acting like you’ve done that and been there before. I understand if it’s a game winning touchdown but down 7-0 and getting a touchdown and here comes the over the top hype.

There, I fixed it for you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00