Softball Twitter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
In the last few years, Twitter has become a central tool for college recruiting. I personally know two players who committed this fall whose only interaction with their coaches has been through Twitter. I’ve heard similar stories here on DFP.

I’ve been encouraging players on my team to set up Twitter accounts, and as a mostly 2025 team I’ve just started using a team Twitter account to promote our players in earnest.

Now, it seems, Twitter is in a bit of disarray and it’s future is cloudy at best. Has anyone used a different platform that has a similar ability to reach coaches at target schools? I know some paid recruiting platforms promise to do this, would anyone recommend that our team invest in joining such a service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
In the last few years, Twitter has become a central tool for college recruiting. I personally know two players who committed this fall whose only interaction with their coaches has been through Twitter. I’ve heard similar stories here on DFP.
Is that saying that the coaches did all their recruitment through Twitter and did not make phone calls? No emails?
No in person meet and greet or game/camp evaluation?

I’ve been encouraging players on my team to set up Twitter accounts, and as a mostly 2025 team I’ve just started using a team Twitter account to promote our players in earnest.

Now, it seems, Twitter is in a bit of disarray and it’s future is cloudy at best. Has anyone used a different platform that has a similar ability to reach coaches at target schools? I know some paid recruiting platforms promise to do this, would anyone recommend that our team invest in joining such a service?

Last edited:

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I personally know two players who committed this fall whose only interaction with their coaches has been through Twitter.

Wow. Not saying there will be problems for the players you know, but this recruiting method has trouble written all over it. This is like taking a job without ever speaking directly with the prospective boss. Lots of opportunity for a bad fit.

Mar 10, 2020
Use as many resources as possible to get recruited. There are plenty online that don't cost extra money. Make sure your team's website is being utilized that is your best marketing ambassador.
Make an effort to show up to college camps when possible.

Jul 14, 2018
Wow. Not saying there will be problems for the players you know, but this recruiting method has trouble written all over it. This is like taking a job without ever speaking directly with the prospective boss. Lots of opportunity for a bad fit.

Sorry, that was a poor choice of words. Initial contact and video sharing via Twitter, I’m sure additional conversations and offers were made via phone call or email. But without a campus visit or coach meeting in person.

May 27, 2013
I’ll share our experience. Dd did not use Twitter, doesn’t even have an account. What worked best for her were emails to the coaches, sending showcase schedules, and specific school camps. She had a free web page where she put all of this info and included video of her pitching, hitting, and in-game footage which she would include in her emails. Worked well for her. Was recruited.

Ds used Twitter. He did send emails as point of communication, but provided his Twitter account info where he uploaded a lot of in-game footage from this past summer. He had the coach of the school where he has been recruited reach out to him because he saw his Twitter. This was not a school ds had reached out to. I believe one of the coach’s assistants also saw ds at a showcase and passed his name along to HC. However, it was the videos on Twitter that made the HC initiate contact with ds, as this coach was switching schools and was heavily recruiting for ds’ year.

May 16, 2016
I think in the short run, nothing will change. You can always add Facebook, or Instagram if you want to be prepared. Until coaches start to exit the platform in large numbers, I think it will be business as usual for softball recruiting on Twitter.

If Twitter introduces a pay wall, then it will die quickly as far as softball recruiting, I think.

Oct 4, 2018
I think in the short run, nothing will change. You can always add Facebook, or Instagram if you want to be prepared. Until coaches start to exit the platform in large numbers, I think it will be business as usual for softball recruiting on Twitter.

If Twitter introduces a pay wall, then it will die quickly as far as softball recruiting, I think.

Agreed. Stick with Twitter for now.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Sorry, that was a poor choice of words. Initial contact and video sharing via Twitter, I’m sure additional conversations and offers were made via phone call or email. But without a campus visit or coach meeting in person.

Still...a coach or player making such a decision without a face-to-face increases the risk of problems. Probably more risk for the coach than the player. Talent is much easier to identify than character.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad