Softball tip for the day....washing white pants

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Georgia red clay and white softball pants are not a good combination......pre-soaking the pants in Iron Out for a couple of hours before you throw them in the wash makes a HUGE difference in how white they come out. And Iron Out does not damage fabric like bleach. Be careful if your pants have pin stripping or any other colors in them, as they may fade or bleed. You can find Iron Out at Home Depot or your local grocery store, and NO, this is not a paid endorsement! LOL

scene7spacer.gif

Super Iron Out - Rust Stain Remover aka Iron Out

Apr 25, 2010
We soaked ours in hot water and Cascade dishwashing detergent. Worked pretty well. But then, we're in Ohio. The dirt is brown...lol.

Jan 3, 2011
Depends On The Day
DD played on several teams that had white pants as a uniform combination. As noted above, "Iron Out" can can bleach other colors if there are pinstripes etc. For the white pants with pinstripes we used "Lye Soap" powder and soaked them before washing - was equally helpful for removing GA clay.

Jul 14, 2010
In PA I pre soak with Shaklee's Basic H2 - totally organic, green. Need to get through a distributor - I give out samples to DD team members. Inexpensive - little goes a long way.

Aug 14, 2011
My theory is male coaches pick the white pants because they're not at home looking for the magic combo of products and elbow grease to get them clean ;)
I have had the most success with FelsNaptha and OxyClean soaking. Iron out does work but can fade some things and its has really harsh string fumes, so that's my last resort.
I have also sprayed on Simple Green and let it soak and that has worked. Red dirt is like a bacteria- it seems to be constantly changing and becomes soap resistant after awhile!!

Apr 30, 2010
Artic Circle
Soak in a combo of 409 all purpose cleaner and Oxy Clean overnight and then wash. Formula used by local DII ball team. Works really well on AG-Lime and grass stains.

Sep 17, 2009
My DD says she doesn't care if her white pants are a bit dirty (maybe even more than a bit on some days)...I love her for that : >

When I was head coach, we didn't do white unis (top or bottom) and we did two uniforms of the same color which 1) ensured everyone brought the right uniform to the field every time and 2) cut washing requirements in half. Kids booed me, parents loved me, lol

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
My 6 year old son had white pants one season and he LOVES to slide. I took them to the car wash after every game. They came clean every.single.time.

And we are in Oklahoma, where we also have red dirt. Such an amazing thing....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd