So, I teach them to pitch and the coach has them catch.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
This is a new phenomenon this Fall. One big 12 YO, is just learning to pitch. she has been to 7 lessons. She is doing well and wants to be a pitcher. Her overhand throw is amazing and we work on it, every lesson.

So, the MS coach looks at her and says that she needs to catch because he has a good pitcher and no catcher. I am thinking to myself "Well, Susie doesn't know how to catch, either." So, she volunteers to catch her younger sister's lesson for me. I tried to help her a little (she was up on her toes, the whole time.) So, the middle school coach has just said "Go catch" and hasn't taught her anything.

She doesn't have a mitt, but I have supplied that and the school wants her to use their equipment. Hopefully, it fits her, but she is big.

So, her folks don't know anything about softball, but they are learning quickly. I thought that the coach was just going to have her catch. Oh, no. He is having her catch 4 innings and pitch 3 innings. I don't know who is catching for Susie.

Our temps have been right at a 100 degrees all week. The mom said that the coach isn't even offering her water, during those long innings when they can't get 3 outs. So, Susie goes to the coach and says "I can't do this. I can either pitch or catch, but I can't do both in one game." Guess what the coach said "You WILL do it, because you are a team player."

Susie has been sick, now, with headache and cramps and missed school on Friday. She was still sick today and missed her pitching practice.

My rant is over. Thanks.

Apr 6, 2012
Which just proves, once again, that there are some very stupid people out there who attempt to coach. Hope the kid comes out of it okay. If she was my kid, she'd be off the team because that is dangerous behavior.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I hate School Coaches and Programs... these stories never surprise me anymore. Wish he would join DFP, and try to learn something, and if not learn, hear some different prospective... I know never :{((

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
It wouldn't surprise me if he tried to have her pitch and catch herself at the same time. That's about the mentality of some school coaches.

Nov 14, 2011
Sounds to me like you need to educate the parent on what should be expected of the player. Until the parent understands what is normal, the player (kid) will be kept in this situation.

I agree with you that this is a bad situation, but you need to educate the parent that this is not a positive thing for their kid. Right now they might be thinking "Hey, look at my daughter. Isn't she great!"

Jul 2, 2012
SoCal
We had a coach do this with my DD about 2 years ago. She would catch for 3-4 innings for the #2 pitcher because although she was the better pitcher, there was no better catcher. We used to joke in stands that our team is better when our #1 pitcher is not pitching...ironic but true...

Anyhow, after melting in the sun in all that gear, she would come in to close the games, visibly exhausted, and then would struggle with the #2 catcher dropping 3rd strikes constantly. Horribly frustrating and one of our worst seasons ever.

Sorry, for my own ranting...still a sore spot. However I told her, regardless of the coaches, call time with the HU anytime she needed water or a wet towel to cool off. The umpires granted her time without question and at least she stayed hydrated. You might have your player do the same, don't wait for the coach...take the initiative to hydrate yourself. Don't let the bad coach put her at risk.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The parents aren't happy, either. They have told the coach that she has to have water when the inning is dragging on and then, the kid tried to talk to the coach.

Now, that the girl is sick, the mom is itching to have it out with the coach.

I advised them, if the coach won't compromise, she should consider turning in her uniform. She has rec ball and TB waiting for her, anyway.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
The guy is a MS teacher because he isn't good enough to teach for the HS nor the elementary school, and he is a MS softball coach because they won't let him coach any other team, and no one else will coach softball. We have the same situation in our MS. It is not worth it.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Sounds like the coach doesn't have a clue and/or doesn't really care, but I don't see switching between catching and pitching being too much to expect from a stamina standpoint. You may not get the best results trying to do this, but if the coach thinks it best for the team, well he's the coach, bozo or not. Admittedly P and C are the 2 most physically demanding positions, but plenty of kids pitch or catch entire games or even multiple games in the same day. As to not offering water, as long as he's not prohibiting it, the players should be able to get water on their own between innings as needed. And other than a player suffering from heat exhaustion, I've never seen regular water breaks for defense mid inning at any age after t-ball. I understand the frustration from an instructor's standpoint and with the lack of instruction she's getting from the coach, but maybe I'm misunderstanding the other issues.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Admittedly P and C are the 2 most physically demanding positions, but plenty of kids pitch or catch entire games or even multiple games in the same day. As to not offering water, as long as he's not prohibiting it, the players should be able to get water on their own between innings as needed. And other than a player suffering from heat exhaustion, I've never seen regular water breaks for defense mid inning at any age after t-ball. I understand the frustration from an instructor's standpoint and with the lack of instruction she's getting from the coach, but maybe I'm misunderstanding the other issues.

Greenmonsters, we must remember that this is MS ball and not TB. MS softball athletes, who are not TB players, are not as physically fit as a TB player who is used to playing several games in a day. Since she is not a catcher by trade, she is probably working harder behind the plate than a more experienced catcher. And as Amy stated, the temperature was near 100 all week. These MS players probably have never been trained how to hydrate the day before or the day of a game. My DGD is a catcher, who is in great shape, has caught as many as 5 games in a day (her choice) in the heat and the humidity of the south. She hydrates all week and the day of the game. But she has been instructed that at any time during the game, no matter whether on defense or offense, if she feels the need for water, she is to call for time and ask for it. Love the game of softball, but the safety of the kids is more important than anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie