Slap hitting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
If DD is < 3 secs to 1b, even if she is a natural righty, then slapping could be an effective tool in the kit. Slower than that and stick with power from the right.

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
If DD is < 3 secs to 1b, even if she is a natural righty, then slapping could be an effective tool in the kit. Slower than that and stick with power from the right.

Ken,
can you please be more specific on how the hitter should be timed? I have seen many different methods, from starting at the hitters first step after a mock swing, to having the hitting start in a runner start in the RHB batters box and go on the coaches word. These produce vastly different times.

Thanks

Jan 17, 2012
Kansas
I've seen it done many different ways myself. The less than 3 is on a mock swing from the left. Standing start from the left should be more around 2.5. Never tested a slapper from the right.

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
This is somewhat age dependent also. I've seen young players that were quick(but over 3 sec) slap for over .500. It's such a disruption to the defense they don't field the ball well. Probably because they never see a good slapper at the younger ages.

Feb 20, 2012
pdx
slapping puts pressure on the defense. Dd switched last year at 14. 3.1 to first but can bunt to first or third on demand, or soft or hard slap. She reads the defense and takes what their giving her. our slappers hit 1-2 and bunt all the time for base hits. this was against 16 and 18 teams this fall. defenses make mistakes when there trying to rush to beat a speedy runner. so keep one of the corners back and she'll lay it down , bring them in and its a slap to the 5 hole, bring the whole infield up and its a hard slap. still working on the power, at 5'2'' 120 she's not built for it, but is starting to turn those hips .

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Standing start at 2.5 would be world class and faster than any player that played on Team USA. 2.8 would be a good time if you look at times recorded on the NFCA site where they test kids all over the country in 60 feet.

Sep 3, 2009
I agree that it should ideally be a naturally left handed kid with great speed, however the best slapper on my team is a right hander with speed. But her right handed mechanics are horrible due to years of slow pitch. So I converted her to a short game player on the left and she took to it like a fish in water.
If your dd is a right handed power hitter, I'd leave it alone.

The key here, is that they have to be converted early. The earlier the better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG