Skipping Tryouts This Year

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
My only concern would be if this player was on a team that played in the big fall showcases where there would be the potential to be seen by lots of coaches. However, by the OP, I’m not thinking that’s the case if the team is “B” level.

ETA: She can also use the fall to attend college camps if college softball is the ultimate goal. Many camps are held in the fall - can get on radars for the summer season.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My DD will start her HS sophomore year in a month and her schedule is heavy with Honors level courses.
She is a pitcher/slap hitter and played up with a 15UB team where she's got the 2nd highest AVG hitting and is #1 pitcher. She even subbed on an 18U A level team and held her own.
Unfortunately her current team is disbanding after this season and finding a new team may be a struggle. She's slight, 5'4" and 100lbs. and doesn't command much attention at tryouts.
I'm thinking it may be best to focus on academics, find a good strength coach, keep up with slapping and pitching lessons this off-season and see what we can find after HS ball ends in the spring.
How do you think a potential coach would feel about bringing on a player that didn't see the need to partake in a fall/winter schedule with a team?

I am going to say three things:

- The reward for all the practice is playing. Simple as that.
- If she can play, every coach in the area has taken note. You barely have to try out - you call the teams you are interested in and let them know.
- Local area tryouts - especially by HS age - are mostly 'hope someone shows up who can play' than actual tryouts. If you have played multiple years of travel, all the area coaches know the players by sight.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
So let me ask this question then - do players who get hurt and take a fall season off to go to PT and strength training get overlooked, too? As long as the player is taking lessons, hitting the gym, and working to get better, I don’t see the issue with not playing in the fall, especially since softball is notorious for the team scramble during the winter.
Think in the scenario you propose of injury taking a player out of a season would have the same concern trying to come back to a team after recuperation. It still comes down to preparedness, goals trying to achieve and the level of competition come try outs.

Unfortunately even athletes who have gotten injured may take the back seat to other prepared players come the next season.

Apr 27, 2020
It wont here her, there will be lots of teams 16U/18U out looking for pitching in the spring that are playing a B schedule.

I know of a lot of families that are struggling with the cost of travel softball and with our current economy. Two are planning to just be sub players next year. One is a senior DIII college committed player the other will be a HS Freshman.
When you go to the various softball or tournament sites there are tons of opportunities for guest play at some of the most prestigious events in the country so, actually guest playing may get a B player into some A level events that they could not attend with their B level programs...

If your plans are to try to commit to a team sometime the spring that may not be a bad idea either, The teams has had a few fall events to see what their needs are and how competitive they are. You can then chose what team you want to join as opposed to being selected. Especially; if she played up and did well at an older age A level event last year.

May 27, 2013
Again - the point here being taking a season off for academics. That A-student will be a lot more attractive to a college program than one who struggled and receIves C’s. Yes, she will have to balance both in college; however, at the collegiate level there are way more resources to assist the student academically while playing their sport.

The chances of being recruited to play in college drop the lower your GPA is.

Jan 28, 2017
My DD is an 06 and is a pitcher. IMO, they need to pitch to get better. Someone mentioned that playing is why you train and that sums my DD up perfectly. Loves playing and works hard but doesn't love training. 4.2 GPA but has to work at it. She/we travel twice a week for practice (1:30 one way), plus pitching lessons, and hitting lessons. She has a few JUCO offers in the last month as a pitcher. May not want to even play in college. Only 5.3.

Every situation is different. My 13 year old son and me are having the discussion this week on if he should tryout for a TB team an hour away or continue to lift (started 3 months ago) and goes to hitting and pitching lessons. We are traveling an hour away for hitting and pitching lessons and lift locally. I honestly think that lessons will help him more (going to let him make the final decision). He is very analytical and likes to play but can see improvement in what he is doing currently. I don't think reps pitching is as important for him. Would kill to play in college.

We live an hour away from everywhere.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
If she can play, she will play. Not sure what area you reside but in So Cal she could guest play/ pitch any or every weekend without committing to any team. Keeps her fresh, saves money, meet new coaches and gets her face out there.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Again - the point here being taking a season off for academics. That A-student will be a lot more attractive to a college program than one who struggled and receIves C’s. Yes, she will have to balance both in college; however, at the collegiate level there are way more resources to assist the student academically while playing their sport.

The chances of being recruited to play in college drop the lower your GPA is.
I haven't read where the OP said the daughter wants to play softball in college maybe I missed that?

If she does want to play in college then in her sophomore year she should be showcasing.

Especially somebody that's already in their hs sophomore year and wants to play softball in college, would definitely not recommend taking a season off.
Academic athletes at that point should be contacting colleges, spreading their name around and getting in front of college coaches.
Players who are doing these things are a step ahead of players who are not, *possibly multiple steps ahead.

( not certain how many months in this situation would be off of playing on a team and getting in front of live exposure on the field. That said, showcasing has limited months to get in!)

May 27, 2013
So honest question here RAD - assuming she does want to play in college and continues to play on a ”B” level team, you don’t agree that taking the season off and going to college camps during that time would be the better move? She’s not on a National level team playing on the good fields at high level showcases basing it on what the OP posted.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad