Sidearming?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2011
Hi. Just found this forum. My daughter is 13, has played softball ever since the t-ball stage. She used to play both 1st and 3rd, but then last year we noticed she had developed a sidearm. She is accurate, but the coaches didn't like to see that & worked hard to try to get rid of it. She was then put on 1st where she excelled. She goes to a private instructor for hitting, and is trying out for travel teams soon. I noticed the side arm sort of disappearing, but I'm wondering how serious this is and how hard we should work with her to get rid of it? Any tips? Thanks

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I would work fairly hard on it. Throwing Issues take a lot of time and patience to resolve.

Some coaches will dismiss her out of hand, some will take a chance on her if they think her other skills outweigh the poor throwing mechanics.

The longer her throw, the more the ball will curve. She can throw a ball from the LF right to 3rd base and you will see the 3rd baseman running towards 2nd then back to 3rd following the curve of the ball. So even if she makes a throw that ends up where she wanted it, she will have infielders running all over the place trying to track it down.

Jul 9, 2010
When we were in the recruiting process, we had some coaches tell us they would come watch pre-game warmups. They might have 50-100 kids they are trying to see, and one of the easiest ways for them to weed out their list was to eliminate players with throwing flaws that were evident in warmups. Sidearm throwing is just such a flaw. That requires work, and commitment, to overcome, but overcome she must. That is, unless she hits a HR every game.

I did have a player one time that joined us in 18U, who was blazing fast, and was a great slapper. Hit lefty, threw righty. She palyed CF, and I never saw a ball get hit that she couldn't get too. She threw sidearm, but it was a little too late to get her to change.

In spite of what I jsut said above, she plays in college now. Again, though, she blazing fast, and had brilliant bat control (bunt or slap). Her college coach figured he could teach her how to throw better, but she had some things he needed badly.

So, it can be done. But, for most mortal athletes, college coaches start with long lists, and basically look to eliminate prospects from their list. Having a poor throwing motion is an easy way to get scratched.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild