Showcase Questions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 30, 2015
I searched for this but searching for "showcase tournaments" yields hundreds of results...couldn't find something easily.

What is the difference between a Showcase tourney vs. Exposure tourney? Are they really similar just different names?

What is the main reason a team attends one of these tourneys? Just to be seen by college coaches? Better competition?

If I don't feel my DD is strong enough yet to be "Shown" or "Exposed" (15 yo starting 9th grade) is it still worth it to be on a team that attends these tourneys?

Its new to us and still struggling figuring what would be best for DD and what type of team to land with.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Showcase and Exposure tournament are usually attended by college coaches, and teams usually bat everyone and move girls around to different positions in order to "showcase" their talents vs. playing to win. Getting started in 9th grade is not a bad idea, but I would not recommend spending a ton of money traveling across the country to play in different events. Determine the level college ball your DD wants to play and concentrate on the showcases that those coaches attend.

Aug 30, 2015
At the 16u level, are there plenty of local "A" tourneys to play in your area or are most teams sort of forced to get to showcases or exposure tourneys to get enough playing time?

In the Northwest, the number of local (meaning state-wide) 16/18 tourneys seems limited.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Winning should be low on coaches list so it is hit and miss on competition.

You need to be really really good to even become a blimp on their radar without doing the legwork ahead of time.

I think camps are better.

Aug 30, 2015
What is a "normal" number of tournaments for a 16u season - September 2016 thru July 2017?

Understanding HS ball is mixed in there. . .

Mar 26, 2013
What is the difference between a Showcase tourney vs. Exposure tourney? (about $100... jk) Are they really similar just different names? Showcase and Exposure are interchangeable. Many are not actually tourneys - they're like playing 5-6 pool games where the schedule and opponents are set in advance.

What is the main reason a team attends one of these tourneys? Just to be seen by college coaches? Better competition?
Sadly, many events are called showcases just to draw more teams and charge a higher entry fee. Depending on your area, there not be many other choices.

Aug 30, 2015
For those of you playing on true Exposure teams -- 16u or 18u -- how many weekends are you traveling and how far?

Mar 20, 2014
Northwest
For those of you playing on true Exposure teams -- 16u or 18u -- how many weekends are you traveling and how far?

DD's 18U team played in 6 tournaments this summer- 4 of which involved travel. We live 4 hours farther away than the rest of the team so our travel was anywhere from 8 to 12 hours one way. For fall ball we are playing in only 1-2 tourneys (8 & 10 hours one way) because the bulk of our schedule is scrimmaging college teams.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA