Running to 1st - Foul territory?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2009
Jim,

When you hear an umpire say "hit her in the batter's box, foul ball" about 1/3 of the batters box is in fair territory and so if that is why they point out that it hit them "in the batter's box" if it hit them anywhere else in fair territory they would be out, if it hits them in foul territory its a foul ball.

Jim and fpdad01 your both riding the line of interfereing with the defense, it will get called and your putting runners in jeopardy hoping to create errors of the defense rather than just reach base safely.

If your hugging the line on the way to 1b and any part of your body gets hit with a throw in fair territory( i.e. your arm), your going to get called out regardless of whether your "feet" are in foul territory.

Jun 22, 2010
When you hear an umpire say "hit her in the batter's box, foul ball" about 1/3 of the batters box is in fair territory and so if that is why they point out that it hit them "in the batter's box" if it hit them anywhere else in fair territory they would be out, if it hits them in foul territory its a foul ball.
The reason umpires say that is because, by rule, a batted ball that hits the batter while she is anywhere in the batter's box is a foul ball. This is from the ASA rules, but I believe all codes are the same:
A foul ball is a batted ball that: . . . (F) Touches the batter . . . while the batter is within the batter's box.
I think that's the same thing you're saying, SnocatzDad, but just clarifying for others.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles