Running to 1st - Foul territory?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD hit a ball list night that spun back into her feet while she was running to 1st base. Umpire properly called her out. Umpire stopped her and mentioned that if she was running in foul territory she would not have been out.

As a general rule do you teach your batters to run to 1st base in foul territory?

With the safety base being in foul territory, the runner getting into foul territory as soon as possible seems to make sense but maybe I am over thinking it.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
DD hit a ball list night that spun back into her feet while she was running to 1st base. Umpire properly called her out. Umpire stopped her and mentioned that if she was running in foul territory she would not have been out.

As a general rule do you teach your batters to run to 1st base in foul territory?

With the safety base being in foul territory, the runner getting into foul territory as soon as possible seems to make sense but maybe I am over thinking it.

I believe she would be out no matter where she was running. If the batted ball touches the batter outside the batter's box, the batter is out. No mention of fair or foul territory. The fair or foul territory comes into play with base-runners already on base. Base-runners that are hit with a batted ball when in fair territory are out so we teach our base-runners at third to take their lead and secondary lead in foul territory.

Jun 11, 2011
Yes, the umpire was exactly correct. However, depending on what the batter executes is dependent on what line she takes to 1st base. A short bunt up the third base line and the runner is taking an inside track to 1st to block the view of the fielder throwing to 1st. If bunting toward 1st then yes, runner should run in foul territory.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Yes, the umpire was exactly correct. However, depending on what the batter executes is dependent on what line she takes to 1st base. A short bunt up the third base line and the runner is taking an inside track to 1st to block the view of the fielder throwing to 1st. If bunting toward 1st then yes, runner should run in foul territory.
The scenerio that you spelled out on the bunt down third base line with the runner running on an inside track is discussed in another thread. The fielder can just plunk the runner who is blocking the view and the runner will be called for interference for running outside the correct lane.

May 5, 2008
I was always taught to get out of fair territory as quickly as possible as a batter. If the ball hits you as you run up the line and you are foul you are NOT out. It's a foul ball. Just saw it happen in the WCWS.

Yes, if your ball is near the line and you are running in fair territory, you can definitely be called for interference. Umps don't always see it. Some see it but don't call it. We once had an ump call interference. Then the offensive coach asked where the runner was running. The umps said, she was on the foul line. He then asked if the foul line was part of the box the runner should be in or not. He said yes, the foul line is part of the box. He argued that if the foul line is part of the box and she was on the foul line that she was okay. He got the call overturned.

Now I have to look that up. Any umpires in here want to comment on that situation?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Runner from 3rd to home never steps foot in fair territory, our Team is good at that. This is easy to teach because the 3rd base coach is right there when they start at 3rd and the runner’s momentum takes them into foul territory when coming from 2nd.

Most our batters hit from the front of the batter’s box and take a direct line to the orange base which means that they are in fair territory until they get to 1st.

We will introduce a slight circle move to get the batter into foul territory when running to 1st

Thanks for the input.

Jun 11, 2011
The scenerio that you spelled out on the bunt down third base line with the runner running on an inside track is discussed in another thread. The fielder can just plunk the runner who is blocking the view and the runner will be called for interference for running outside the correct lane.
Maybe you miss understood ... I'm not advocating to run inside the line. A slight inside path to 1st, staying in the line, is what I meant. We ran a play just like it in the NAFA Nationals and the runner got a home run on over throws to 1st and 3rd. This happened with the runner staying on the inside part of the base line running to 1st.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Runner from 3rd to home never steps foot in fair territory, our Team is good at that. This is easy to teach because the 3rd base coach is right there when they start at 3rd and the runner’s momentum takes them into foul territory when coming from 2nd.

Most our batters hit from the front of the batter’s box and take a direct line to the orange base which means that they are in fair territory until they get to 1st.

We will introduce a slight circle move to get the batter into foul territory when running to 1st

Thanks for the input.

When going on contact, if the ball is hit to the third baseman, the runner should shift inside to fair territory if they can to disrupt the throw to the catcher.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles