Running Through 1st Base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Rule 8 section 7 3e: a batter that over runs first base and turns right is commited to first base and must return non stop to first base.

Turning right completely takes away any chance to advance.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Rule 8 section 7 3e: a batter that over runs first base and turns right is commited to first base and must return non stop to first base.

Interesting! That would reinforce the need to look for the ball and an empty 2b before stopping.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
And looking at the rules any movement towards 1st after overrunning the base is a commitment to 1st base and it must be touched before advancing. I would assume the runner needs to make a quick decision after they stop running or they are assumed to be returning to 1st.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Yes. Look before turn. Usually you can get away with a step.
Or ok our secret, if first base coach calls you the wrong name, you are going. At base touch if we are pulling that off. Or on the way to first on a walk. "Hey nice contact meg!" to Mary means slow down to almost stop on run though, then haul it to second. "Good eye kimmy" to kerri on a walk means your not stopping on 1st.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Yes. We have on more then one occasion said "nice hit, uh uh uh, nice hit"

Then it falls back to the golden rule. If she goes and makes it, coach gets the credit for good strategy. She gets caught going, then she missed the sign.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Few posts mentioned the 1st base coach. If the 1st base coach is in charge this step is eliminated:

After 4 or 5 steps runner should locate the ball, if hit on the left side of the field the runner should take a peek.

With the coach controls everything approach once the batter starts towards 1st their initial focus should be on the coach, then the base, then the coach again.

I like having the runner making some of their own decisions.

Feb 1, 2012
NJ
I also teach the kids to look to the right for two reasons. 1. If there is an overthrow they can see the ball. If they see the ball and hear the coaches voice go to that high pitch screech, go to second. 2. If the first baseman misses the ball, it doesn't hit you in the side of the head. It hits you in the back of the head witch does not hurt as much. I have no idea if that is true or not, but it gets them to turn there heads to the right.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
The softballperformance link in OP, assume it is from Marc Dagenais but cannot be sure, states:

“pop your head down as you cross base”.

Lot needs to go when touching and immediately after touching the base.

Oct 22, 2009
PA

Seems to me this only applies when the Look Back Rule is in effect. If the ball is live and not in the circle, a runner who has turned right after overrunning 1B can still advance to 2B if a play is made at another base - they are not committed to going back to 1B. They have protection to go directly back to 1B without the possibility to be put out, but I don't think this rule takes away their ability to advance when the ball is still in play.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl