Runner obstruction at first base

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2013
This is in USSSA 10U, if that makes a difference.

We play a team tonight that I have experience coaching against. Their infield stays in the base path at all times. It is something that I have already talked to my girls about how to handle and we just don't let the issue affect us. My main problem is at first base.

The girl who plays first for them is very good at receiving the throw but she stands vertically in the middle of the bag on almost every play. This causes the BR to slow down to avoid contact with her or duck to avoid the throw coming in. Is this considered obstruction since she is waiting for the throw? We do not use the two tone safety bags.

I would prefer to avoid any collisions since I know for a fact that the girl has to have fluid drained from her knee at least once every two weeks and I absolutely refuse to teach my girls to play dirty, but they have to have a base path to run in. If it is an obstruction issue I can bring it up in the pre-game with the officials and maybe have it brought the the other coaches attention so we can avoid any dangerous situations.

Jun 22, 2008
Receiving a throw is only protected in NCAA with the about to receive rule. Quite simply, the obstruction rule states a fielder not in possession of the ball or not in the act of fielding a batted ball may not impede the offense. If F3 is standing on top of 1st base and batter/runners are having to check up to avoid contact with her, it certainly sounds like an obstruction issue.

Sep 29, 2014
Saw this at a local game just last week on dropped third strike catcher cleared everyone stepping in front of the plate and 1B stands basically straight on the line to receive throw blocking the bag the runner lets up so as not to cause a big collision and is throw out on a throw she could have beat out, everyone acknowledged exactly what happened both the coaches and the umpires but then comes from the BU as coach lodges a halfhearted complaint wait for it, wait for it....."it's not going to be called unless there is contact" Maybe it is truly ignorance of the rule or simply the acceptance of how the rule is going to be applied but unfortunately for better or worse this is what you will get 9 times out of 10

Feb 26, 2012
Indiana
Sounds like an obstruction issue. I would try informing the base-umpire about it before the game starts. Be sure to tell your girls not to obstruct while on defense, as the base-umpire should now watch closely for obstruction on both teams.

I agree with not having your girls make contact with the first baseman at 10U. At 14U or so, one of the bigger/tougher girls will truck the first baseman, and it will not be good, although the first baseman will now adjust her position or eventually get injured.

I wish all associations would use the double-bag at 1B. There are no disadvantages (besides a new piece of equipment), and it improves the safety of the game.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
A lot of things going on here...

First - the "base line" and "base path" are not the same thing. If you have a running lane to the outside of the bag, your runners are supposed to use it. If your runner is obstructed from going to 2B because of F3, then she has to make contact (but she doesn't have to blast her).

Second - any umpire that says "there has to be contact" for obstruction (or interference) to be called is an idiot and doesn't deserve to be on the field.

Third - I think it is entirely appropriate to bring this up in the pre-game meeting. You are simply informing the umpire that in past games the 1B has stood on top of the bag and, although your girls will go out of their way to avoid collisions, you are not going to change the way your girls play simply because umpires won't call obstruction or fielders are not properly taught to field.

Jun 11, 2013
It's fine to bring up at conference. Interesting to see how the coach reacts to see if he is encouraging it or just a lack of skill on players part. Either way it needs to be corrected before someone gets hurt.

The other question that comes to mind is do you play with a double first base? I can't remember not having one at any tournament?

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
A lot of things going on here...

First - the "base line" and "base path" are not the same thing. If you have a running lane to the outside of the bag, your runners are supposed to use it. If your runner is obstructed from going to 2B because of F3, then she has to make contact (but she doesn't have to blast her).

That must be a u-trip rule as it certainly isn't so in other sanctions

Second - any umpire that says "there has to be contact" for obstruction (or interference) to be called is an idiot and doesn't deserve to be on the field.

Can we extend that to the coaches? :)

Third - I think it is entirely appropriate to bring this up in the pre-game meeting. You are simply informing the umpire that in past games the 1B has stood on top of the bag and, although your girls will go out of their way to avoid collisions, you are not going to change the way your girls play simply because umpires won't call obstruction or fielders are not properly taught to field.

When it is raised at the pre-game, you may have an argument break out and the first pitch has yet to be thrown. Been there, seen that because my partner acknowledge that he would keep an eye out for the alleged violations. The opposing coach blew up at the coach who raised the point and ended up getting tossed before the game started and my partner could have prevented it. An umpire should not respond to the coach as if his/her complaint will carry some type of weight. The only response an umpire should offer would be to clearly state that you will do your best to observe anything and everything humanly possible and if you see any violation, you will rule on it accordingly.

Whether the coach is correct or not, it cannot appear the umpire is searching for a specific call to make.

Last edited:
May 30, 2011
If your runner is obstructed from going to 2B because of F3, then she has to make contact (but she doesn't have to blast her).

So if F1 is standing on the bag and BR obviously alters her path to go around her touching the back corner of the bag and is subsequently thrown out between 1B and 2B what are you calling if R1 did not make contact with F3?