Recruiting/Stealing your players

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2012
How often does this happen and what are your thoughts on it. I started the TB skills thread and read some really good posts and suggestions. I was reading about the A's stealing B's pitchers and so on. I have a couple of players that could play up in age (12u this yr going 14u nxt). The aren't pitchers but they are very good for around here. I think there may be a coach trying to recruit them for their 16u team. I have no problem if the parent comes to me and explains that they want DD to move up or thier daughter is unhappy etc. or attend tryouts of x team. I understand this because if my DD were good enough for team x that would get her recognition for scholorships and such I would do it myself. What does bother me is recruiting a player already on a team. If I need a girl to fill out the roster due to someone quitting I look around for a player without a team and go from there. If they are coming to me while on another team I tell them to stay with the current team and I will keep looking and call me when they are done for the yr. I honestly don't want that player because I figure if they will leave him short during the season then they will do it to me one day. If I am short for a tourny I call the coach of the girl I would like to pick up and ask first if they are playing and make sure they understand that I just need her for that weekend and I am not recruiting. I do this a common coursty. What do u think of recruiting players while they are on a team.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I never stole a girl during the summer from another team, nor did I ever lose one. But softball is a small world, you hear who is unhappy and see who has really improved their game. Fall ball around here is pretty lax, lots of swapping and picking up players just to hit the dirt. Lots of girls playing volleyball and soccer, therefor the need of players. That's when I start heavily recruiting for the next spring.

I don't care if I've had a girl for years, she is not my property and if a better situation comes up, she is free to go after the committed summer.

These girls work hard to get to the level they are, no way would I stand in the door blocking them from advancing to a better team. That would be selfish. At the same time, if I see a good player getting the shaft or playing on a lesser team, I'll offer them a spot on mine. There is a grown up / professional way to recruit, and then a dirty sneaky way. I've always tried to handle it the grown up way. I think. :confused:

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I don't think it's right to recruit players on other teams, and I lose a certain respect for coaches who do it.

However, there's nothing I can do about it except to live by what I believe in. Can't control what other coaches do.

Instead, I try to make my team the best that it can be. If a player is recruited away, that unfortunately means that another team was more attractive to one of my players. I can blame it on the coach who recruited her, but the fact remains that the player felt there was something better. The possibility of that is the free market place at work. The competition should make me better, not bitter.

May 13, 2012
goingdeep: I agree about not holding one back. Like I said if we finish up this fall and come spring DD 12 is throwing 95mph and hitting .1000 with every third being an HR I would be trying to get her on one of teams I read about on here and elsewhere. I just run my team by being loyal. I have never dropped a player even though my team has outgrown some. Like many when I started my team I took the best avaiable at the time and filled the rest with players that I thought would develop. Some never have and probably never will. I figure one day they will see it and quit on their own as some already have and we parted ways with no harsh words or anomysotiy. I take this approach knowing I have treated everyone fairly and hope that parents see this and the good players stick with me knowing I am doing my best to coach them and help them acheive the nxt level. I think I have done pretty good with this approach as other teams fall apart I have had some of the better player come and ask if they can play with me. I guess it just bothers me that other coachs want to take shortcuts by bribes of playing time, facilities that I don't have, or plain old bad mouthing.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
CBluff, Ive been in sports a long time, and I do understand what you mean about recruiting a player from a team. It's an ethical no no, while they are "playing". Late fall and early winter they are pretty much free agents. DD started TB at 8u, even at that time I knew I wasn't going to have the same girls 4-6-8 years down the road. Ask some of the members with HS age or college age and see how many different teams they played for over the years. It's really just part of the game.

Girls advance their skills, get tired of old team politics, some times parents can't get along, coach can't coach beyond a certain level, players are looking for more dirt time, the list goes on a mile long.

For me that's why I use the fall/winter approach, as do most teams around here. Lots of horse trading but it also gives the team I recruited a player from time to replace her. We play A class, so recruiting a good B player usually makes her and the parents happy. Why? Because she has worked hard and it shows, she might not be getting the coaching she needs or the tournament play on the B side. I hope I'm explaining this nicely, that is my intentions.

But probably 50% of the girls I have recruited over the years were not happy with their current team for whatever reason. I probably did a few coaches a favor because you don't want unhappy players around, it gets very contagious.

Story time, I did have an idiot call me mid summer 2 years ago wanting DD to come play for his team. Not pick up, full time play. I told him, dude you know I coach her team.......why in the world would I continue to coach and let her come play with you. He called me 2-3 more times and finally I told him what a moron he really was. I think he was off his meds or something.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
goingdeep: I agree about not holding one back. Like I said if we finish up this fall and come spring DD 12 is throwing 95mph and hitting .1000 with every third being an HR I would be trying to get her on one of teams I read about on here and elsewhere. I just run my team by being loyal. I have never dropped a player even though my team has outgrown some. Like many when I started my team I took the best avaiable at the time and filled the rest with players that I thought would develop. Some never have and probably never will. I figure one day they will see it and quit on their own as some already have and we parted ways with no harsh words or anomysotiy. I take this approach knowing I have treated everyone fairly and hope that parents see this and the good players stick with me knowing I am doing my best to coach them and help them acheive the nxt level. I think I have done pretty good with this approach as other teams fall apart I have had some of the better player come and ask if they can play with me. I guess it just bothers me that other coachs want to take shortcuts by bribes of playing time, facilities that I don't have, or plain old bad mouthing.

I do commend you on your philosophy. Like I said, there are grown ways to handle swaps and childish ways to handle them.

I'll also add that from my experience, the most team swaps happen from last year 12's to first year 16's. Early age they stay where they are comfy, later they stay for college exposure reasons. Just my 2 pennies. :)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If the cleats your DD wore last year are 2 sizes too small, do you have her continue to wear them or look for new ones?

Players, teams, and coaches progress and improve at different rates. What once was a good fit in the past, may not be a good fit next year. Player and/or team changes are inevitable and to be expected. They just need to be handled with integrity and honesty.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
CBluff, Ive been in sports a long time, and I do understand what you mean about recruiting a player from a team. It's an ethical no no, while they are "playing". Late fall and early winter they are pretty much free agents.

That's what I mean - just not during the heart of the season. We're on the same page about this. There's a time and place.

The only thing that I don't want to happen is for another coach to embolden a parent/player to break a commitment that they've made to me. Couple of seasons ago, there was a very well known A-level team whose two coaches came to one of my scrimmages to watch a player. They'd been talking w/ her parents. Coaches didn't say anything to me. Just came, watched, left. I thought that was sleazy. I don't mind if this player decides to play for this team next year, or even picks up this year. I'd be happy for her, but don't try to kidnap somebody in mid-season who to this point has been perfectly happy. (She didn't bolt, btw.)

May 13, 2012
That's what I mean - just not during the heart of the season. We're on the same page about this. There's a time and place.

The only thing that I don't want to happen is for another coach to embolden a parent/player to break a commitment that they've made to me. Couple of seasons ago, there was a very well known A-level team whose two coaches came to one of my scrimmages to watch a player. They'd been talking w/ her parents. Coaches didn't say anything to me. Just came, watched, left. I thought that was sleazy. I don't mind if this player decides to play for this team next year, or even picks up this year. I'd be happy for her, but don't try to kidnap somebody in mid-season who to this point has been perfectly happy. (She didn't bolt, btw.)

I agree and understand I just don't think its right even after season if the coach tries get the player to break the commitment that they've made to me and I made to them. To me the correct way would be to approach coach state case and offer to help recruit a replacemnt that would fit in nicely with my team before she leaves. If the recruiting is for trophy hunting and wins then it does not apply only if it is truly to help the player. Where I coach it is a small pool of players that qualify even to B level hence why it I think stealing players is a capitol offense:mad:. Most of the time your looking to find the ones capable of playing on age level at B level. If they can play up in age its usally the older group recruiting. . Unhappy parents well there will never be a solution as they will swap teams regardless looking for green grass.

Apr 9, 2012
You should fullfill a committment to the end. When august or december hit then you can reach a new agreement.

Now everyone looks in some format whether it be watching a girls play against your team or a parent watching games between games; we all scout opportunities. Just dont make offers or agreements during the season. A simple call me when the seasons over is enough.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA