Recruiting - Check Status With College Coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
What I'm asking is it appropriate for a player to contact a college coach to get more specific "status/depth" on her as far as recruiting since she is in the 2024 class. If so, how should she work her comments, if not, that OK will just keep doing our part to email coaches and try to attend camps.
In addition to going to camps, and Since it appears your daughter is already emailing college coaches that would be the standard thing to do.
From that,
If college coaches are seriously interested they will contact your daughter directly through her email and ask for phone conversation. It does happen where they may call directly but generally that starts through email.
You will then know the depth of interest if she is on their list.

Not referring to emails that say hey come to our camp (those are most of the time standard promotional marketing form letters)
Rather then emails that are directly trying to connect to have phone conversations.

Keep contacting all colleges on your list. Would even say throw in some other colleges you may not think you are interested in. But still may attend.
A. List
&
B. List

Do not rely on whatever your team organization or coaches are doing. I am not saying they may not be reliable but I would not rely on what somebody else is doing in between the connection your daughter needs to make directly with colleges.
99% player effort!

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Let me back track as well. Official D1 visits are usually done with the incoming "committed" class before the NLI is signed. These players have already committed . Usually involves an overnight stay and a football game. I know 2 girls who were actually decommitted after her official visit. One decided bringing weed on her visit was a good idea and the other couldn't control herself and was way too cocky.

Most players these days only use 1 "official visit" as opposed to players back in the day taking all 5 officials.
Want to hit the like button on your post at the same time I wanted to post the smiley-haha-emoji because of the weed comment. Absolutely anything can happen at the last moment with decommits.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2022
I think she needs to just ask. When we went on visits we asked. What positions are you looking to recruit for my class. How many kids is your goal for my class. How many kids at what position do you have verbally committed in the class of 23. Where do you see me earning time as a freshman? All of those were answered with as much recruiting honesty as I think can be expected when everyone is putting their best foot forward. The only one that stumped several programs is when dd asked where else so might have the opportunity to get playing time as a freshman. Dd is a pure ss and I don’t think it occurred to anyone that she’d be willing to play literally anywhere they asked in order to see the field. The school dd chose answered honestly that they hadn’t really thought about it because they expect her to earn the ss position as a freshman. If they aren’t responding to your emails and DMs or your coach then it’s likely they aren’t interested and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
If they aren’t responding to your emails and DMs or your coach then it’s likely they aren’t interested and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Boom! Hard Truths need to be said. The game is to mark off as many schools as soon as possible then move to the next one. Rinse and Repeat. You want to go where they love and want you. I have seen way too many kids get over recruited or the dad's are pimping them too hard. They end up at the wrong place. They either get 30 career AB's over 4 years, transfer or Quit. None of these are ideal situation unless the kid is happy to wear the uniform and contribute in other ways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad