reaction time

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 31, 2012
DD 10u team is gonna see some flamethrowers(low 50s) in a few weeks. Most kids we see locally throw mid 40s. Gonna have her hit in front of the box for next few weeks. Maybe some math guys can help me. 45 in the front as opposed to 50 in the back of the box. Is this a good idea?

May 31, 2012
Ffs what's the downside to this strategy. DD normal set up is middle of the box. If she moves to the front I'm thinking its about 1.5ft difference. So difference between front and back would be 3ft.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
If you are looking for a short-term bandaide, then go ahead and make adjustments in terms of positioning in the box.

If you are looking to develop hitting skills, then work towards improving a hitter's ability to time pitches of varying speeds.

Listen to the following video and to what Bautista credit's his turn-around.

Bautista described his earlier swing issue as ..... “because I used to get started so late”. This had him trying to be ‘on time’ by being ‘quick’ (i.e., caused him to be 'rushed').

Solution was to .... “start slower and earlier”.

Good mechanics help. You figure a good swing will last approximately 0.167 seconds. At 50mph the time for a ball to travel 40ft will be 0.545 seconds (not taking into account stride distance of the pitcher) and at 45mph the time will be 0.606 seconds. That's more than ample time to get the swing off. It's also more than ample time to read the pitch if you teach the basics of "starting slow and early", "rhythm", and a good clean "swing sequence".

See post at BBD ... Oops, there was an error! |

Good hitters don’t stay back, they go forward. It is during the forward movement when the critical timing and reading of the pitch is occurring … that is when gathering of energy (what could be considered staying back) is occurring … that is what forward-by-coiling is about … that is what forward-but-back is about … that is where the valued ‘stretch’ is … that is where body coil comes into play … that is why SB speaks of coil as a timing trigger. A rough translation of Dixon’s findings is that 'exceptional hitters' have a longer stretch portion to their swing … i.e., they have a wider ‘going forward’ portion to their swing sequence. Their sequence gives them a larger timing window with greater power. Go forward!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_mbNeaXVGs

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2009
Seems like it even took a pro awhile to learn that timing stuff.

But at 8 or 10u, I am going to have them move up in the box to tune their eyes, same as front tossers get close to simulate speed. Most of the issue is that kids almost universally freeze against fast pitching they haven not seen before.

Many think that you have to have fast hands to handle speed. In reality, the hips play a major part in being quick to the ball. If you swing primarily with the top half you will be slower to the ball than if you clear the hips so the hands can do their thing.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
50 mph = 264,000 ft/hr
= 4,400 ft/min
= 73 ft/sec

therefore....

the ball will travel the appoximate 40 feet (from the release to the plate) in 0.55 seconds. [not taking into account loss of velocity over that travel path]

or the ball travels every foot in .01375 seconds.

the difference from standing near the front of the box to the back of the box (about 5 feet for the center of the body) is .06875 seconds.

Im pretty sure the math is right, but I apologize if my math is wrong...its still early and still drinking my coffee.

Jan 24, 2009
Question for you...
If you move your girls to the front of the box for mid-40 throwers, what will you do when the other team brings in a slower pitcher, say upper 30's? Let's see-- already in the front of the box so NOW what? Can't move even closer to the pitcher...may be time to teach the girls TIMING as FFS pointed out.

The other side: Let's say that you face a flamethrower and have the girls in the back of the box. In the third inning they bring in a girl who throws 3mph faster and bring in f5 to show bunt defense. Now what is the plan?

It is well worth the time to teach the girls as FFS suggested. Moving forward/back in the box to adjust to speed differences is a 'shenannigan' move IMO.

It may be a good idea to find an older pitcher or three to come and pitch at your practices.
Good luck!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yes TJ ... a 5ft difference in the batter's location will equate to a 0.068 sec difference in terms of when the ball will arrive (making the assumptions that were made above).

You can't exactly shave time off of the swing ... a five frame swing takes 0.167 seconds regardless of pitch speed.

The swing sequence will start before the ball is released by the pitcher, but the actual "reading of the pitch" will be less for a faster pitched ball. It is the ability to use appropriate mechanics during the "reading of the pitch" that differentiates between 'good' and 'not so good' hitters.

At the older ages batters will see a barrage of different pitch speeds from the same pitcher, and it is their mechanics used during their "reading of the pitch" that will largely dictate their success.

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.
You can't exactly shave time off of the swing ... a five frame swing takes 0.167 seconds regardless of pitch speed.

The swing sequence will start before the ball is released by the pitcher, but the actual "reading of the pitch" will be less for a faster pitched ball. It is the ability to use appropriate mechanics during the "reading of the pitch" that differentiates between 'good' and 'not so good' hitters.

At the older ages batters will see a barrage of different pitch speeds from the same pitcher, and it is their mechanics used during their "reading of the pitch" that will largely dictate their success.

Well said FFS...

I agree that moving up or back gives no measureable advantage. They have the fundamental tools to hit he ball; when things get challenging up there, all they need is confidence and concentration....and what you said.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG