Question for those who've run leagues

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 29, 2014
It's not directly proportional. We (softball) made $24k in 2014. That money was not in my P&L at the start of 2015, hence my wondering aloud where my money went.

I see what you are saying now since you said the books are not zero at the end. Seems like the organization takes that money for the purpose of the larger cause ideally for the betterment of the whole organization.

As long as softball is not on the short end of anything, getting all the equipment you ask for and things like that (assuming the larger books show the money being absorbed into the organization) I would be fine with it. You said they have some paid staff so you would assume some money is taken from each activity for that purpose etc.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
I see what you are saying now since you said the books are not zero at the end. Seems like the organization takes that money for the purpose of the larger cause ideally for the betterment of the whole organization.

As long as softball is not on the short end of anything, getting all the equipment you ask for and things like that (assuming the larger books show the money being absorbed into the organization) I would be fine with it. You said they have some paid staff so you would assume some money is taken from each activity for that purpose etc.

That's part of the problem, from my POV anyway. That money could/should have been spent on improving softball. We are going to spend a ton of money this season on Diamond Dry, and that expense will impact every other part of the program. If I had the carry-over funds it would pay for our Diamond Dry and the rest of the program would feel no pain.

And like I said: I don't mind paying our fair share of the salaries, but fair doesn't equal 21% of that expense when we only bring in <6% of the revenue. Payroll expense should be proportional to revenue by program. Soccer should pay 90% lol!

Yes, I'm being greedy. I was denied ASA umpires for 12U due to cost, I was denied signing the league up with TeamSnap due to cost, my gear boxes at the fields are wrecked and not being replaced due to cost.

Sep 29, 2014
That's part of the problem, from my POV anyway. That money could/should have been spent on improving softball. We are going to spend a ton of money this season on Diamond Dry, and that expense will impact every other part of the program. If I had the carry-over funds it would pay for our Diamond Dry and the rest of the program would feel no pain.

And like I said: I don't mind paying our fair share of the salaries, but fair doesn't equal 21% of that expense when we only bring in <6% of the revenue. Payroll expense should be proportional to revenue by program. Soccer should pay 90% lol!

Yes, I'm being greedy. I was denied ASA umpires for 12U due to cost, I was denied signing the league up with TeamSnap due to cost, my gear boxes at the fields are wrecked and not being replaced due to cost.

I would defiantly bring these issue up, if your sport is one of the revenue makers the cost of things you need to run your sport should be covered then the rest carried over to the larger organization.

Feb 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I could live with that lol!

My concern is that the money was taken from me to give to fencing or drill team or some such.

When you mentioned all the programs, that was exactly my first thought. Probably going to little league or football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 13, 2015
It's not directly proportional. We (softball) made $24k in 2014. That money was not in my P&L at the start of 2015, hence my wondering aloud where my money went.

Speaking from an accounting perspective...

A P&L automatically is reset each year. Any funds or surplus from previous years would be represented on a Balance Sheet (not a Profit and Loss statement). The balance sheet would list assets like cash, property and equipment, and also list liabilities etc.... If you are part of a larger organization, you could have your own bank account, or it could be co mingled into another or all of theirs. If the cash account is part of other segments you may not get much clarity from them. If the softball segment has its own account it would be easier/clearer to see what is going on.

So not to confuse a Profit in Loss (summarizes income and expenses over a certain period of time) with your organizations cash balance.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
Speaking from an accounting perspective...

A P&L automatically is reset each year. Any funds or surplus from previous years would be represented on a Balance Sheet (not a Profit and Loss statement). The balance sheet would list assets like cash, property and equipment, and also list liabilities etc.... If you are part of a larger organization, you could have your own bank account, or it could be co mingled into another or all of theirs. If the cash account is part of other segments you may not get much clarity from them. If the softball segment has its own account it would be easier/clearer to see what is going on.

So not to confuse a Profit in Loss (summarizes income and expenses over a certain period of time) with your organizations cash balance.

Apologies - I'm actually familiar with the differences but I've fallen into using the org's terminology. They call the spreadsheet they sent me the P&L, but it's really a balance sheet as you say.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan