question for coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
rec league game, 12u

what would be your reaction to one of the catchers (clearly top catcher, but it is rec so the two catchers split time) asking coach to not catch one night? not feeling great, allergies killing her, coughing some? do you hold that against her next game. DD has already missed one game entirely (school concert), will miss one this week (TB game), and one next week (school play)? she batted, played I think 3 innings in field.

does anyone take the stance you either play or you don't, no special requests? really just did not feel up to catching that night.

I ask, because other catcher seemed upset that DD got to play but could opt out of catching (for what it is worth, if coach wanted her to catch every inning of every game, she would, not like TB with multiple games).

Oct 4, 2018
Not entirely sure I understand. But yes, if a girl in rec (or even all-stars or travel) doesn't feel healthy enough to play a position, I won't play her there.

But if she's just being whiny or petulant I'll be fairly forceful about making her play the position I need/want her to play.

Aug 20, 2017
Depends on the players pattern of behavior. One time deal I would honor her while explaining to her that it doesn’t need to occur again. All goes back to trust

Jul 14, 2018
Wow, I take such an opposite approach. I'm an AC on our 12U Rec team, dealing mostly with pitchers & catchers. We have two TB catchers and three TB pitchers in our program. I go to great lengths to have them play anywhere but the positions that they see most frequently in travel.

Our best catcher is on an A-level team, and she's terrific behind the plate. When she comes to a Rec game, I want her playing short, outfield, third base, anywhere but catcher. She gets plenty of catching elsewhere, and Rec is where the girls who have never caught before get a chance to try it out.

Allstars is a different story. The pitchers and catchers understand that we're playing to win and that we're going to lean on them to be at their best. But regular season rec? Let the TB pitchers spend 20 minutes with the girls who want to try and then let 'em play!

Mar 22, 2016
Southern California
Wow, I take such an opposite approach. I'm an AC on our 12U Rec team, dealing mostly with pitchers & catchers. We have two TB catchers and three TB pitchers in our program. I go to great lengths to have them play anywhere but the positions that they see most frequently in travel.

Our best catcher is on an A-level team, and she's terrific behind the plate. When she comes to a Rec game, I want her playing short, outfield, third base, anywhere but catcher. She gets plenty of catching elsewhere, and Rec is where the girls who have never caught before get a chance to try it out.

Allstars is a different story. The pitchers and catchers understand that we're playing to win and that we're going to lean on them to be at their best. But regular season rec? Let the TB pitchers spend 20 minutes with the girls who want to try and then let 'em play!

I really dig your approach, Rick.

sjw62000

just cleaning the dugout
Sep 1, 2018
North Carolina
Just to add some flair to the discussion about playing TB players in different positions in rec ball; I play a left-handed TB 1B/OF at shortstop, and a TB 3B in CF, and a TB OF at catcher. So far, so good.

May 6, 2015

RIck, not saying I disagree, but just not clear on your "opposite".

DD normally catches about 1/2 the innings, sits one per game, and plays the rest at 3B or SS (which she never does in TB). she likes to catch, but if coach wants her somewhere else, she is fine with it, kinda likes the chance to do something different. but coach normally has her behind the plate 1/2 of each game (and a lot with the #1 who actually is "closer" most of the time) because she prevents runs (far fewer passed balls, and speed of # 1 intimidates other catcher a bit).

I told him flat out, put her where you need her. I guess it boils down to her innings behind plate are not because that is "her" TB position (she also play sOF for TB), but because that is where HC wants her. league has a 4 run limit, and with other catcher (just being honest), they get 3/4 there on average just on PB.

I was just wondering about other coaches reactions to a player asking for a game off from a particular position.

Jun 11, 2013
I wouldn't hold it against her. However, if you aren't really committed to a team you are going to experience some resentment from other players.

Aug 20, 2017
The question, the way I understood it, is basically would you allow a player to decide which position she can or can’t play on a given day? I don’t allow that. Bless your heart if you do

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying