Public Service Announcement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I use the NCAA definition for defensive indifference when scoring - only in the bottom half of the last inning.

Now wild pitch vs passed ball? That I have trouble with….

I find NCAA's too restrictive. If the home team is up 7-0 in the top of the 7th, 2 outs, runner on first... it's absolutely DI if they just let that runner take second. It's not any less of a DI than if it was the away team up in the bottom of the 7th and the same thing happened.

Still, that's better than "Call it DI any time there's no throw."

As for WP or PB: A good rule of them is to use the same standard you would use when deciding who gets an error on a throw to a base. Also, any pitch in the dirt is a wild pitch no matter how much you think the catcher should've blocked it (you might be right, but it's still a wild pitch).

Oct 26, 2019
Yes..the MLB definition gives more leeway to the scorer to use their judgement.
I try to keep it simple. Does the defense care if the run scores? If so, then it’s not DI. It almost always has to be late game with a big lead.

Apr 25, 2019
As a catcher dad, I would like to see first and third situations scored as something completely separate. I hate that it goes down as a stolen base because that affects stolen base percentages and such. 9 times out of 10 my DD's team does a trick play or a pump fake to second and not a true throw to second. Just my 2 cents

Jun 8, 2016
As a catcher dad, I would like to see first and third situations scored as something completely separate. I hate that it goes down as a stolen base because that affects stolen base percentages and such. 9 times out of 10 my DD's team does a trick play or a pump fake to second and not a true throw to second. Just my 2 cents
Yeah..which is why nobody who knows anything makes any judgements on a player by looking at their stats (alone)…

May 27, 2022

I don't disagree - even worse is when half the teams in our conference don't score it right.

Be aware that if you get either of the runners out, then there is no stolen base for the other runner, it goes as fielders choice.

Apr 1, 2017
Be aware that if you get either of the runners out, then there is no stolen base for the other runner, it goes as fielders choice.
I learned something today, TY. Guess I can go back to bed.

Had that happen this weekend. Runners on 1st and 2nd, got the runner out going to 3rd. Didn't feel right at the time, but think I scored the runner to 2nd as stolen base.

Jul 18, 2022
I learned something today, TY. Guess I can go back to bed.

Had that happen this weekend. Runners on 1st and 2nd, got the runner out going to 3rd. Didn't feel right at the time, but think I scored the runner to 2nd as stolen base.

I actually had this exact question. Runner on 1st and 2nd. Runner on 2nd steals 3rd and catcher or pitcher tries to catch them but fails (ball is thrown but arrives too late). Runner on 1st takes advantage of this and runs to 2nd. The runner on 3rd stole the base. I had thought it was defensive indifference or just an advance for the runner on 1st->2nd because no attempt was made to get her out, but I've been told it's a steal for her as well. I had no idea all this time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA