Practicing Without a Glove

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
We started using the skilz flat mits (ones posted above in picture). I am not to worried about the skilz ball as if you hit enough grounders at the players with this flat mit on the see enough untrue hops off the dirt to adapt. The first few a player field with these things are rather comedic as the ball will bounce all over the place and even slide up into their chest causing them to be a little unsettled. B/C of this I always start by hard rolling the balls then once they find their form (two hands and receiving the ball), then soft hitting and then finally hard hits. We find that many kids will shave 1-2 seconds off their transition time between fielding and releasing the throw which get us more outs on the throw to first against a BR. I like them alot. They cost $15 each and are well worth the money. I bought 6 for our entire team to use. When we split into two groups for stations we then have enough for every player in the drill to have one so they get a ton of reps with this in a short amount of time. In order to field with these things you must use two hands, get down low in our approach to the ball and keep the throwing and close into the mit to keep in under control. Having the throwing hand close is what I see shaving time off the throw. If you cannot get one I have made kids field with a catchers mit as it has alot less give in the side wall of the glove so it is harder to just snag the ball. Not as good as the flat mit but can work. However a catchers mit cost more than a skilz flat mit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32