POLL~ about QUITING during the...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Would you QUIT while game or tournament is in progress

• Yes QUIT during is ok-will explain reasoning

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • No QUIT during is not ok-wrong time to do this

Votes: 25 83.3%

• Total voters

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
In that situation~
Shouldn't the coach be removed?
The strength of the many remove the individual who is the problem.
✔️

Yes, but that is not guarantied.

We all are fully aware and know coaches who despite their past records are still leading up teams - and in some cases major, national level organizations. That includes in some cases relevant criminal records or inappropriate acts involving players. But parents still let their kids play for them despite that.

So many parents with the "I know, but he REALLY knows softball"/head in the sand/not happening to my kid, delusions.

May 20, 2015
know a coach who was a total rear, had players that had played for him for years, but were now 16 and his act had worn thin.......he showed up after a break for an afternoon game, obviously had a few pops.....started berating girls for a morning loss, a bunch of them piled up unis in the corner of the dugout and walked......

i was AOK in witnessing that, they made the correct move

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
You gotta go, when you gotta go!

As far as the drunk or berating coach situation I understand leaving but I don't understand joining in the first place. If it's about play time, you quit on Monday night after talking it thru.

Jan 25, 2022
Other than the obvious reason already stated, I wouldn't let my kid quit within the established boundaries of the season. School seasons are obvious, but I guess with travel it would be "you play until the last currently scheduled tournament, and you notify the coach."

There are plenty of situations in life where a person has to suck it up in a situation they aren't happy with, and come up with an exit plan that doesn't compromise their commitment to groups or individuals. My daughter knows that one spring practices start, she's in there until the end of the season and is completely at the mercy of however the coach wants to utilize (or not) her. When she complains too much in the offseason about whopping 3 hours a week of pitching, I tell her every time that her options are to put in the work or quit, but she better quit early so they have time to prepare knowing she definitely won't be there. Of course, she never actually says she wants to quit, nor does she take me up on my offer.

Sometimes you just have to suck it up and suffer while coming up with a reasonable/ethical exit plan.

May 13, 2023
know a coach who was a total rear, had players that had played for him for years, but were now 16 and his act had worn thin.......he showed up after a break for an afternoon game, obviously had a few pops.....started berating girls for a morning loss, a bunch of them piled up unis in the corner of the dugout and walked......

If it were known that alcohol stimulated that situation. I would have been a player in the dugout holding my ground as a teammate to continue playing and instigate removing the coach.

Fix the problem.

May 20, 2015
If it were known that alcohol stimulated that situation. I would have been a player in the dugout holding my ground as a teammate to continue playing and instigate removing the coach.

Fix the problem.

i think the majority if not all ended up walking at that point......this was a guy that was bounced from two orgs for similar issues, and had essentially started his own team - amazingly parents had stuck with him through all of this, until this breaking point....and the kids were finally the ones that said enough

the history was long and sordid with this one

Jun 18, 2023
I learn towards it's okay...but I struggle to find a good reason why you wouldn't quit days before. reactionary "what, you PH for me? that's it I'm out" seem clearly a bad idea, even if it's the straw that broke the camel's back. You've already made the mental commitment to play these games, right now, this weekend (or whenever). Even if you, in your head, are "Ok, that's it. I'm done with this nonsense", you've planned to be there and presumably still like the act of playing softball, so just play it out?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I had my assistant coach and daughter quit between tournament games once. The season was terrible, but it was local rec ball, which eventually caught up to the father. His daughter bounced from team to team for the next several years, and she transferred after one year in college, too.

We've left teams since then, but it was always after the last tournament of the season. Fulfill your obligation, so long as it's not a dangerous situation.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
As others have said. If there as safety issue of any kind where the child might be in jeopardy either physically, mentally or emotionally, it's OK to quit right then and leave.

If you're upset about playing time, no it's not OK to quit mid game/tournament.

Oct 4, 2018

Yup, I've been part of that type of thing too.

My DD came to me during a break and said: "The players all just met without the coaches and we're not happy for being yelled at when we were all playing hard and we kind of decided we just wouldn't listen to the coach any more."

Uh, what?

We were off that team within a week. And of course the team didn't last long.

So I suppose we played out the weekend. But certainly left mid-season. No one faulted us (at least to our faces).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad