Please critique my Dd swing!!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Beastcakes ... the GIF used in that link shows the separation I'm talking about ... just another example to add to the one's I already gave you. In fact, one of the examples I gave you is of the same girl. Your daughter is out of sequence ... but until she faces decent pitching it won't be that big of an issue to her. Enjoy the swing for now ... later you'll need to modify it so that it will scale to better pitching.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
30a9ap3.gif

I notice in this clip not only do the hands stay back but the head only moves forward slightly. The front hip while coiling moves forward 6-8 inches and the front foot moves forward over a foot all while the back leg seems to stay IRed and from the knee down not going forward at all.
How is the hitter moving Her lower body forward while the upper stays put?

Last edited:
R

RayR

Smart comments, Tommy.

The answer to your question is "Pull back"

Dec 21, 2011
Did you do that with dd westwind? My dd wants to be a pitcher. I think as much work as she put in she has earned the right. She has a guy coaching that has alot of experience and there was drama on last years team. She just turned 10 three weeks ago. I'm in no hurry to move her up early. Look at GS That extra year helped her in all aspects of the game

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The reason I like players playing A-level over B-level, and up an age level if capable, is because they are then routinely facing better pitching. The pitching level that they routinely face will go a long way towards their development.

Those that play at a low level often develop habits that won't allow their swing to scale well.

You'll often hear of a parent thinking their kid went into a slump when they move up an age level ..... when in reality their kid is suddenly seeing better pitching and they haven't quite realized that the data they were collecting earlier wasn't necessarily long-term oriented.

Dec 21, 2011
I'm Curious Westwind, when did you help us with hitting? Take a look at the Usssa site. We did play lots of "A" teams last year. We did 3 ASA tourney and played "A" teams at all 3 of them. If you think that because your team is moving up that there is no more talent in 10u in the area I think you are wrong. My girl will continue to improve just as your girl improved last year. You couldn't pay us to play on the team we were on last year. I want my kid to have a experienced coach like your girl has. This was our plan from the start. Otherwise we would have came to your girls org. We didn't want to be forced to move up early because my girl has wanted to pitch for the last two years. If you think my girl won't improve because we are staying down I think you are wrong. Confidence had always been a strong point and it will be at a all time high after this year. I know she may struggle in 12u next year. Most do. That's pretty common.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
With the woman I coached with, we did young 8b then 8a, young 10b then 10a, young 12b then 12a. Also went to one select tournament each year and seen how we stacked up. We kept most of our team together all the way through...

At 13 I took Casey to a travel team from then on. Just my path. I know others start travel ball at 8.

SL

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Competition will not fix skills. Focus on fixing the skills and allow the competition to be secondary.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Competition will not fix skills. Focus on fixing the skills and allow the competition to be secondary.

I agree here. Until High school age, I'm not for playing up. Poor skills against good competition =soccer. JMHO
*General comment.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog