Please critique my Dd swing!!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2010
I have posted video of my dd at ages 8,9, and now she is 10. She had a great season last year and I agreed to work with her on pitching this year. Pitching is a lot of work and it cuts into our hitting time. If anyone can give us some info on making her better please don't be shy. I have thick skin and the ultimate goal is to make dd better. Thanks for your time!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxTLrcNsi4Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I think it is a nice swing.

The thing I see is not holding the hands back long enough. Get more separation between the hip turn and the shoulder turn. Her hands are moving in synch with the back hip instead of following after the hip.

The back elbow gets a little forward which means she could be pulling the bat a little bit. Keep the hands back until the shoulder turn has begun and then throw the barrel with the hands, don't pull the bat. Think hips, handle, then bat head. Hips turn, handle comes with shoulder, then throw the bat head. Do not pull the hands away from the shoulder.

Other than that, I think it looks good.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The sequence needs improvement.

Take note of the "walking away from the hands" action below ... how the rear hip gains ground as the top hand loads "up and in". This action takes place as we are "reading the pitch".

30a9ap3.gif

35k63vk.gif

30ksw0j.gif

arvhh.gif

Dec 21, 2011
Thanks FFS. Her hitting coach teaches a preload if you will. Her hands are already back and she already has her stride. Just trigger and release. It has worked pretty good vs the faster pitchers that she struggled with her first year of tb.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Here is when your daughter moves her hands "Up & In".

2mhsl0p.gif

This action should be occurring later in the swing sequence ... as the rear hip is gaining ground and the pitch is being read ... see above examples.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thanks FFS. Her hitting coach teaches a preload if you will. Her hands are already back and she already has her stride. Just trigger and release. It has worked pretty good vs the faster pitchers that she struggled with her first year of tb.

Excellent ... now you know why she is out of sequence.

She's 10 ... and at this age many things will work that won't scale.

p.s.
The stride has nothing to do with it. Look at the examples again ... there is a no-strider there that still uses a proper sequence.

Dec 21, 2011
Yep. That's her getting set. Can you explain to me what that action actually does to improve a swing? And why it would matter if you did it before or after the ball left the pitchers hand?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shameria0413