Pitching target(fake batter)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2011
Looking for some ideas on creating a 3d pitching target for the kids.Want to put a realistic fake hitter in the box that the girls can practice against.Any ideas??(Scarecrow type,plywood cut out,mannequin)ty in advance.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I had my 12 year old son lay down on a 4 by 8 3/4'' sheet of plywood in a batters stance with bat in hand.Traced and cut out figure mounted to a plywood base.When catching with plywood figure wear a mask.Learned hard way when ball bounces off of plywood.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
IMO, I woundn't spend a lot of time making a fake batter. Occasionally I will put a batting tee (raised as high as it will go) in the batters box and close to the plate and have DD throw inside pitches without hitting the tee or throwing behind it. But your pitchers should be seeing enough live batters in practice and games that there really shouldn't be a need to make or use anything different.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
google bob the batter and this should give you an idea of what I mean. I would do a base of plywood though.

Oct 19, 2009
I get one of the blowup punching bags that has sand in the bottom. You punch it and it comes backup, you can get them at Walmart, Kmart and the Dollar Store for about $8.00, they are about 5 Ft tall. You can get different characters, Superman, Wonder Woman, and the Hulk to name a few.

Oct 22, 2009
I put a lawn chair there one day, and three pitches later, I had a pile of scrap metal and mesh.

Jan 27, 2010
You can go to OnDeckSports.com and they have "the designated hitter" that is a little pricey but is what you are descrbing that you want.

Jul 26, 2010
The punching bags work good.

However, IF you have a player present, put them in the box instead. The player in the box will get an invaluable amount of experience just watching pitches. Make sure that they don't just stand there, but they practice "good takes". This is where they are telling themselves "yes, yes, yes" as the ball moves in, they load, toe-touch, begin their move, and then "no" as they stop their swing. Seeing pitches is what makes good hitters.

-W

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish